Day 2 of our little tropical getaway and it is with coconut shrimp. I love these and I am not opposed to deep frying when it is a treat but to make these for a week day meal that is a bit over the top even for me. So the real treat here is having coconut shrimp mid week and have them taste just as good with less calories!!! Have these with a big salad and your family will be thrilled.
My friend Jill gave me this recipe and it is from a site called Simply Gluten Free. They can easily be made gluten free by purchasing the rice flour Panko crumbs. With the shrimp, the recipes also includes a mango dipping sauce. I thought it was perfect with the shrimp but Amber and Ken felt it didn’t go. Oh well, to each their own. I am a huge lover of mango and I now have some in the freezer for smoothies, can’t wait.
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 tsp. Kosher salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 lb. large shrimp, peeled and de-veined with the tails left on
- 1½ cups Panko Bread Crumbs or Gluten Free Panko Crumbs
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- Cooking Spray
- 1½ cups mango chunks, thawed
- 1 tsp. Sriracha sauce or to taste
- Juice of 1 lime
- Preheat oven to 425F. Prepare two baking sheets with either parchement or Silpats.
- Beat the egg whites and then whisk with the salt, pepper and garlic powder. Toss is shrimp and then remove to another bowl reserving the extra egg white onto a rimmed dish.
- Have two other plates ready one with 1 cup of bread crumbs and the other with the remaining bread crumbs mixed with the coconut.
- Now dip the shrimp in the bread crumbs then back into the egg whites and then into the coconut mixture pressing to adhere the coconut to the shrimp. Place on the prepared baking sheets.
- Spray each shrimp with the cooking spray and bake for 6 min. Then turn shrimp over and spray the other side with the cooking spray and bake another 5-6 min until they are golden brown and the shrimp are pink.
- Measure out the mango into a glass measuring cup. Add the lime juice and the Sriracha sauce. Using a hand blender blend until smooth. Alternatively use a blender. Pour into small serving bowls and serve with the shrimp.
Recipe adapted from Simple Gluten Free by Carol Kicinski