Tastespotting is teaming up with Dole bananas this Friday to do a celebration of the banana split. David Evan Strickler’s claim to fame, a 23 year old apprentice pharmacist, is inventing the banana split. He did so back in 1904 in the pharmacy that he worked in. At that time they cost 10 cents and were double the cost of any other sundae. Through word of mouth this delicious ice cream concoction spread.
I love everything that is in a banana split but I have to say I have not sat down and eaten one for a very long time. Amber on the other hand had no problem with tackling this ice cream sundae. We always buy half the fat vanilla ice cream as Amber likes to have a scoop almost every night. I used fresh fruit dipped in a little semi sweet chocolate also rather than the syrupy sweet toppings. Of course no banana split is complete without whipped cream and a cherry. Yummy!!
The smoothie came to mind because Amber has been making a different one every morning for the past week or so. I love the combinations she has come up with and I will be sharing some of her recipes shortly. We pulled this smoothy together thinking of a traditional banana split. It is fantastic!!!
- ½ cup sliced strawberries
- ½ cup sliced pineapple
- 2 sliced bananas
- ½ cup non fat strawberry yogurt
- ⅛ cup skim milk
- 1 cup ice
- Whipped cream for topping
- 2 Maraschino cherries
- Chocolate Chips for garnish
- Place the strawberries, pineapple, bananas, yogurt, ice and milk in a blender. On the ice crush setting blend until smooth. Pour into a tall glass and top with whipped cream, cherry and chocolate chips. Wow!!