Black Bean and Egg Tostadas #SummerSideUp
I could not be more happy than to bring you this post today!! I was so thrilled to have met Chef Lynn Crawford at her restaurant Ruby Watchco in Toronto. Egg Farmers of Canada graciously flew me to Toronto for this event to celebrate #SummerSideUp with some of Chef Lynn’s great egg creations. It was a feast with amazing egg-inspired recipes like this Black Bean and Egg Tostadas that I have highlighted for you today. Eggs dishes are perfect for your backyard BBQ’s, picnics and cottage dinner parties. Think way beyond eggs being just for breakfast as they are fantastic for summertime entertaining too. Let’s explore more of this event and some scrumptious egg dishes.
What a thrill it was to meet Chef Lynn, I have been a fan of hers for a very long time, watching all of her shows, Restaurant Makeover, Pitchin’ In and Chopped. Chef Lynn has some great casual summertime entertaining recipes that are both very creative and delicious.
First up we clinked our glasses with this gorgeous cocktail, the Cherry Bourbon Sour. Here is a fun video of Chef Lynn creating it for you. You will be pulling out a mason jar quickly to get into the action of enjoying this libation.
Video courtesy of Canadian Living.
- ½ medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) fresh lime juice
- ¼ tsp (1.25 mL) salt
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil, for frying
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp (1.25 mL) ground cumin
- ¼ tsp (1.25 mL) chili powder
- 1 can black beans (540 mL), rinsed and drained
- 6 small eggs
- 6 corn tostadas
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 3 small radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeño, thinly sliced
- ½ cup (125 mL) crumbled queso fresco
- For garnish, fresh cilantro leaves and sliced limes
- Preparation: In a small non reative bowl, combine red onion, lime juice and salt, set aside.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, add oil and gently saute garlic. Add cumin, chili powder, and black beans, and warm through. If desired, lightly mash beans with a fork. Set aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat, add oil and fry eggs sunny side up, in batches if necessary.
- To Assemble: For each serving, spoon warm black beans over each tostada. Top with avocado, then fried eggs. Garnish with red onion, radishes, jalapeño, queso fresco and cilantro leaves. Serve with sliced limes.