Welcome to Day 4 of Ice Cream Week 2014! This year the event is hosted by Kim ofCravings of a Lunatic and Susan of The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen. We have teamed up with 25 amazing bloggers to make satisfy all your Ice Cream Cravings.
Our sponsors for the event have provided us with some great prizes. A huge thanks to Cake Boss, Anolon, Microplane, WÜSTHOF, Page Street Publishing andQuarry Spoon. Kim of Cravings of a Lunatic and Susan of The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen have tossed in a bonus prize of a Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker because they think everyone should own one!
Here is my third installment into awesome #IceCreamWeek with my daughter’s favorite homemade ice cream. I make this for her every year!! We grow mint fresh especially for the ice cream. So this year I wanted to make her a frappe, a Chocolate Mint Frappe.
Again, rich, creamy ice cream is the key. I have made this now for countless of summers but almost always put in chocolate chips. This year I used a slivered chocolate so that the shake wouldn’t have big lumps in it. Great idea and this frappe was gone in no time!!
Chocolate Mint Frappe
- 1½ cups whole milk
- 1½ cups heavy cream
- 1 cup packed fresh chocolate mint leaves(or other variety)
- 4 large egg yolks
- ½ cup plus 2 Tbsp. sugar
- pinch of salt
- 3-4 drop green food coloring, optional
- 2-3 drops blue food coloring, optional
- 1 cup milk chocolate, slivered
- Chocolate mint ice cream
- Ice cubes (optional)
- Whipped Cream
- Mint leaf for garnish
- Combine the milk and 1 cup of cream together with the mint leaves in a small saucepan. Cook for about 5 min. over medium heat until it just starts to simmer. Remove from heat and let it steep for 20 min. Strain to remove the mint leaves.
- Meanwhile, whip the egg yolks, sugar, salt and the ½ cup heavy cream together until smooth. Slowly add a ½ cup of the warm milk and then add all the egg mixture to the milk mixture. Return to the heat and cook over medium heat stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. Simmer the custard but do not let is boil. Continue cooking until the custard coats the back of a wooden spoon and leaves a clear trail when your finger is drawn on the back of the spoon, 4-6 min. Add the food coloring if using.
- Now cool the custard by placing the saucepan into a larger bowl filled with ice and water. Stir until cooled. Cover with plastic wrap that is right on top of the custard so it won’t form a skin. Cool completely in the refrigerator for 3 hours or overnight.
- Pour the custard into the ice cream maker and follow manufacturers instructions. When nearly frozen, like thick whipped cream add the chopped chocolate while the machine is churning. Transfer to a freezer safe container and freeze for 3 hours or a few days until serving.
- To make the frappe add 3 scoops of ice cream to a small blender/smoothie maker. Add in 2-3 ice cubes if desired. Fill with milk and blend. Top with whipped cream and a mint leaf if desired.
Here’s what is up for grabs, One Winner Takes All:
One Copy of the Cookbook Making Artisan Gelato by Torrance Kopfer
One Copy of the Cookbook Everything Goes with Ice Cream by Koralee Teichroeb
One Copy of the Cookbook Vegan Scoop by Wheeler del Torro
One Copy of the Cookbook The Great Vegan Bean Book by Kathy Hester
One Copy of the Cookbook Eat More Dessert by Jenny Kellar
One Copy of the Cookbook The Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz
One Copy of the Cookbook Scoop Adventures by Lindsay Clendaniel
Be sure to stop by all of today’s Ice Cream Week Participants:
- Ice Cream Float by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Maple Bacon Bourbon Brown Sugar Ice Cream Sandwiches by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Coffee and Donuts Ice Cream Sandwiches by The Redhead Baker
- Chocolate with Buttercream Icing Ice Cream by Cookistry
- Dulce de Leche and Pecan Sundae by My Catholic Kitchen
- Banana Split Finger Sandwiches by The Life and Loves of Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Strawberries and Cream Ice Cream by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Cinnamon Chunk Ice Cream by Farm Fresh Feasts
- Chocolate Mint Frappe by Noshing with the Nolands
- Gluten Free Lemon Mint Frozen Custard by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Oreo Ice Cream by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Peach Pie Milkshake by The Messy Baker
- Strawberry Vodka Float by Mind Over Batter
- Coconut Cream Fudge Bars by Quarter Life (Crisis) Cuisine
- Flourless Chocolate Almond Coconut Ice Cream Sandwiches by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- How to Make an Old-Fashioned Ice Cream Soda by Mother Would Know
- No Churn Low Carb Mint Ice Cream by Yours and Mine are Ours
Here are some of my favorite recipes from the past, ENJOY!!
This one is amazing and is from our guest blogger and author of Scoop Adventures. I was lucky enough to review her ice cream cookbook and made this amazing Le’Lemon Berry Ice Cream. You have a chance to win her gorgeous cookbook in our giveaway!!
My daughter’s favorite ice cream, Mint Chocolate Chip. I have revamped this recipe into something else that you will see later this week!!
You can’t get much more decadent than Chocolate Ice Cream Pecan Balls with Salted Caramel Sauce. Loved everything about this ice cream dessert!!
This is one of my favorite ice cream when it is made with a really good quality cinnamon. I have made Cinnamon Ice Cream many times to rave reviews!!
Special Guest for the Week is Lindsay Clendaniel of the blog, Scoop Adventures. We’re very excited to have her join us. Lindsay is the author of Scoop Adventures which is chock full of ice cream goodness.
The Ice Cream Week Giveaway is open to U.S. and Canada. It closes at midnight on 31st. It’s ONE WINNER TAKES ALL!