That’s What I Think (TWIT) Review
I give to you today another little cookbook for review. I love cookbooks as you all know. I can read them like novels. I love when they have a great title and fit a certain niche. So when it is hot outside you will want to grab this cookbook, The No-Cook, No-Bake Cookbook by Matt Kadey.
Matt Kadey is a James Beard award-winning food writer, registered dietitian, recipe developer and travel photographer based in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada. That’s an impressive list of accomplishments. No wonder I enjoyed this book of his so much!!
This cookbook features 101 fast and fun oven-free meals, everything from breakfast to dessert. Recipes like Acai Granola Bowl, Lemony Apple Fennel Salad, Lentil Wild Rice Pilaf and Lemon Cheesecake with Cherry Sauce. All without turning your oven on!! There are 80 photos to enjoy also, all scattered through the cookbook.
Our daughter loves smoked salmon so I was drawn to this very appetizing looking sandwich. I also love pesto and was intrigued with the addition of arugula. Well it was a sure fire winner in our house. That pesto is fabulous with it’s peppery finish from the arugula. Loved it! Such an easy and quick dinner for anytime of the year when you are tired of making those big casseroles and roasts. A simple yet elegant sandwich. I hope you try this recipe and enjoy this cookbook!!
- 2 cups packed arugula
- ½ cup packed fresh basil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 1 oz. grated Parmesan or Parmigiano Reggiano (about ½ cup)
- Juice of ½ lemon
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil
- 8 slices whole grain bread or 4 whole grain buns, split in half
- 4 oz. smoked salmon
- ½ English cucumber, thinly sliced
- ½ cup thinly sliced jarred roasted red pepper
- ½ cup sprouts, such as broccoli or pea (optional)
- For the pesto: Place the arugula, basil, garlic, and walnuts in the bowl of a food processor and pulse a few times until coarsely minced. Add the cheese, lemon juice and salt, and process until combined. Scrape the sides of the bowl. With the machine running, pour in the oil through the feed tube and blend until fully combined.
- For the sandwiches: Spread a generous spoonful of pesto on four slices of bread or bun halves, and top with equal amounts of salmon, cucumber, red pepper and sprouts if using. Top with the remaining bread or bun slices.
- The pesto can be made up to 5 days ahead.