Spiced Pear Apple Cocktail
I have an amazing cocktail that I have now made 4-5 times this fall, and every time it has been given rave reviews. I first got the inspiration for this Spiced Pear Apple Cocktail from Carrie at Frugal Foodie Mama with her Spiced Pear Planter’s Punch on Real Housemoms.
I had different ingredients on hand than Carrie had but the heart of the cocktail is the same. I didn’t have a spiced rum but a Cuban or a gold rum so I spiced the simple syrup instead. I used an organic apple juice that is sold in jugs at our local gourmet store that is fabulous. The cocktail is divine for fall and will be a huge hit for your Thanksgiving celebrations too.
I loved the pairing of the organic apple juice with the sweet pears. The added cinnamon stick makes a great utensil to get the delicious pears from the bottom of the glass. I made this cocktail in a pitcher and then later I doubled the recipe and served it in a large jug. It is a great make ahead cocktail that is easy to assemble over ice with a spoonful of the pears and a cinnamon stick.
Cool and crisp, sweet and refreshing, your company will be asking you to make more, mine did!
- ½ fresh pear, chopped
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- ½ nutmeg (optional)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 6 oz. good quality Cuban rum or gold rum
- 4 oz. infused simple syrup
- 2-4 cups organic apple juice
- Cinnamon sticks for garnish
- To make the simple syrup, mix the water and sugar together in a small pot and let come to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. When the syrup is clear add the pears, cinnamon and nutmeg and let boil for 1 min. Remove from heat and let steep until cool. Strain the simple syrup through a wire mesh sieve. Reserve the pears and discard the cinnamon and nutmeg. Refrigerate both the simple syrup and the pears until cold.
- For the cocktails, to a pitcher add the rum, simple syrup, and apple juice, using how much to taste. Refrigerate until ready to use. For each cocktail serve over ice and garnish with a teaspoon of the pears and a cinnamon stick.