That’s What I Think (TWIT) Review
Cookbook review time here again and today it is a gorgeous Vegan cookbook. If you are a follower here of our site you know that we are not Vegan but we are open to any cuisine there is out there. I have no problem enjoying a vegan meal or dish and we now do it regularly or at least vegetarian. We love our veggies here a lot and devour salads and casseroles alike.
The 30 Minute Vegan’s Taste of Europe is a cookbook filled with 150 plant-based recipes from all over Europe. Wonderful recipes like Pesto Pizza, Manicotti and Orzo with Roasted Zucchini from Italy. Roasted Squash with Truffle Cream Sauce, Quiche Monet and Chocolate Hazelnut Crepes from France. Empanadas, Spanish Rice or Spanish Omelet from Portugal and Spain. And many more from the UK, Ireland, Greece and Germany plus a whole section on European fusion. A great experience to take you through all of these countries while still remaining Vegan.
The recipe that we chose to show you today is from the UK. Lately, we are in love with kale and we are enjoying it in so many dishes. This is a simple, healthy and delicious side or main course. It can be served from breakfast (a traditional English breakfast includes tomatoes) right through to dinner. ENJOY!!
- 2 small yellow onions
- 2 medium sized tomatoes, halved
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- ½ tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups tightly packed bite-size pieces kale
- 1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. vegan butter (optional)
- 1-2 tsp. fresh dill or sorrel
- Preheat the oven to 425F. Peel the onions and slice in half. Place on a well-oiled baking dish along with the tomatoes, drizzle with 1 tsp. olive oil, and top with a pinch of salt and pepper. Bake for 15 min. If you have more time, and for optimal flavor, bake the onions for 10 min. before adding the tomatoes. (I recommend this step for sure).
- Meanwhile place the kale in a bowl with the remaining tsp. of olive oil, and massage the oil into the kale for a few minutes.
- After the onions and tomatoes have cooked for 15 min., add the kale to the baking dish and bake for an additional 5 min. Drizzle with the vinegar and top with the vegan butter if using, and the dill and the remaining salt and pepper before serving.