Apple Cranberry Pies
The “Pie Guy” is at it again with these Apple Cranberry Pies. Ken had some of his wonderful pie dough in the freezer leftover from a previous pie so we put our thinking caps on and came up with these rustic looking pies for Christmas. What he created is one of my favorites so far.
The perfect balance of sweet and tart, with hints of citrus, amazingly good!! They are nice individual pies that you can have a whole one or share. Lovely with a little good quality ice cream too!
Try these little pies you will love them!!
- 4 Granny Smith apples, cored, peeled, and thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 3/4 cup berry sugar
- 3-4 Tbsp. berry sugar for sprinkling on top
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 tsp. orange zest
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 lb. lard
- 2 Tbsp. vinegar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of water
- 4-5 cups flour
- In a small bowl add egg and stir with a fork. Stir in vinegar and then water. In a separate bowl add the lard and 4 cups flour. Cut the lard into small pieces using a pastry cutter.
- Add the liquid and continue to cut the lard into the mixture adding more flour as needed. Do not overwork. Stop when the dough comes together into a sticky ball.
- Divide into half and wrap in cello. Place in the refrigerator for 30 min. to 1 hour. If making eight pies freeze the remaining half of the dough for another use.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Mix together apple slices, cranberries, lemon juice, 3/4 cup sugar, cornstarch, orange zest, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a large bowl.
- Roll out the pastry to 1/4" thickness using a quarter of the dough at a time and cutting out two 8" circles. Place on parchment-lined cookie sheets. Continue with the remaining dough until you have 8 circles.
- Place 1/8 of the apple mixture into the center of each circle and fold the edges of the dough towards the center leaving a 3-3 1/2" opening.
- Brush the pastry with the egg and sprinkle the remaining sugar. Just before the pies go in the oven brush the fruit with the melted butter.
- Bake for 25-35 min. until the pastry is golden brown and the apples and cranberries are cooked.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 1782Total Fat: 67gSaturated Fat: 27gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 36gCholesterol: 116mgSodium: 73mgCarbohydrates: 254gFiber: 12gSugar: 9gProtein: 35g
Recipe calculation was provided by Nutritionix and is estimation only. If you need nutritional calculations for medical reasons, please use a source that you trust.