Black Bean and Butternut Squash Quinoa Wraps
This Black Bean and Butternut Squash Quinoa Wrap recipe caught my eye for a few reasons. Number one, I love black beans. Secondly two, I already had a butternut squash in the panty. Number three, I love my vegetarian meals as much as I love my meat!! And fourth, it was made by one of my favorite sites and that is Peanut Butter and Peppers!!!
I have known Jennifer through blogging from almost the beginning. She has a wonderful site filled with healthy and fantastic meals, salads, desserts, cookies, smoothies and so much more. Check out this amazing drink. I have stared at this one for a long time, not only wanting that wonderful Frappe but maybe a dip in that pool too!
Look at how gorgeous this drink is, a Rise and Shine Tropical Smoothie.
Jennifer is also a huge fan of Trader Joe’s which makes me jealous, I have to admit because I love that store and we don’t have anything like that up here in Canada. I have to say I am a huge fan too!
Anyway to the meal at hand. This quinoa dish can be made as a salad but also a taco and that is how we all enjoyed it. How delicious was this all wrapped up in a flour tortilla.
I love roasting the squash so that it turns out sweet and slightly caramelized. We added a bit more spice with some Frank’s hot sauce and some sour cream and salsa on the side and man was this good.
Amber and Ken both loved it and we had some for leftover lunches for the next day! I know you will enjoy it too!! Thanks Jennifer for a great recipe!!
- 1 cup qunioa, uncooked
- 2 cups water
- 1Tbsp. + 1 tsp. olive oil
- ⅓ cup onion, diced
- 1 large sweet red bell pepper, diced
- 1-15 oz. can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 butternut squash
- ½ tsp. cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Flour tortillas
- Romaine lettuce leaves
- Frank's hot sauce
- Sour cream
- Parchment paper, optional
- Preheat oven to 400F. Peel, remove seeds and cut up squash into small cubes. Drizzle with the Tbsp. of olive oil and salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for 20min. or until they start to brown, flip over and cook for another 10min. or until tender.
- Meanwhile cook quinoa according to package. Then in a large skillet heat the tsp. of olive oil and saute the onion and bell pepper for about 5 min. Add the black beans, cumin and butternut squash. Cook until warmed through. Add the quinoa and toss.
- Lay out the flour tortilla topped with a lettuce leaf and add the qunioa mixture. Sprinkle with hot sauce, salsa and sour cream or serve them on the side. Wrap them up in parchment paper if you like and serve.