I really felt like making muffins, as a foodie half of it for me is thinking of an idea, researching, developing, trying, making, baking and then finally eating.
It is the process that I love the most, of course the final outcome is important but getting there is half the fun. Ken and I talk about food all the time, creating and testing ideas out in each others brain even before any ingredient has been actually brought out.
I wanted to make a cranberry lemon muffin (and I did, which you will see later) but Amber talked me into her favorite first, Blueberry Muffins!!
I went to Ida’s Barefoot Series of Cookbooks as I have made some of her muffin recipes before. The one that I adapted from this time had a big crunchy and yes yummy streusel topping but Amber nor myself wanted that. I also amped up the healthy with some whole wheat flour. Well, they are all gone, disappeared in a flash. Not a drop of butter is needed with these moist muffins, just break into them and start eating!! ENJOY!!
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1½ cups whole wheat flour
- 4½ tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 2 cups buttermilk, shaken
- ½ cup butter, melted and cooled
- 1½ tsp. grated lemon zest
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups blueberries
- Line a muffin pan with muffin liners. Preheat oven to 375F.
- Whisk the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. In another bowl mix together all the other ingredients but the blueberries. Stir the buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture using a fork and mix until just blended. Fold in the blueberries and do not over mix!
- Fill the muffin liners until almost full. Bake 20-25 min. until golden brown. Let cool in the pan for 10 and then pop out onto a rack to cool completely.
Adapted from Barefoot Contessa’s Back to Basics cookbook