Cream of Tomato and Tortellini Soup
#SundaySupper again and this week we are bringing you One-Pot Recipes, what could be easier than that!!?
I love one-pot meals, like this Cream of Tomato and Tortellini Soup, hardly any cleanup, perfect for a weekday meal. Any dish can be a cinch with fuss-free one-pot recipes. Chilis, chowders, soups, stews, one-pot entrees, and even desserts come to mind!!
I had this recipe in my cookbook for years, not quite sure who I got it from now. With the addition of the tortellini, it is a meal in a bowl.
You can strain it to be creamy and smooth but we liked it a bit more chunky! It has a little trick in it too, with the addition of baking soda making the tomatoes less acidic, so they don’t curdle the milk.
I hadn’t seen that before, worked like a charm. Serve it with a big cheesy bun and a salad and you have a fantastic and easy meal in no time. Enjoy!!
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 4 Tbsp. flour
- 4 cups 3% milk
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1-28 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 9 oz. package tortellini
- Fill a large pot with salted water and bring to a boil. Cook tortellini according to package. Drain and set aside.
- In the same pot melt the butter over medium heat and cook the onion until softened but not browned. Add the flour and stir, cooking for 1 min.
- Slowly add the milk, whisking. Add the Italian seasoning, sugar, salt and continue to cook and stir until slightly thickened.
- Stir the baking soda into the tomatoes. Add the tomatoes to the milk. This will stop the soup from curdling, reducing the acidity!!
- Bring to a simmer and strain if desired. Adjust seasoning.
- Add the tortellini and serve.
- Sprinkle with parsley for garnish.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 335Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 51mgSodium: 1158mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 4gSugar: 6gProtein: 13g
Recipe calculation was provided by Nutritionix and is estimation only. If you need nutritional calculations for medical reasons, please use a source that you trust.
Look at all these amazing one-pot wonders. You will want to try them all!!!
“Take the chill off” Chilis, Soups, and Starters
- Cream of Tomato and Tortellini Soup by Noshing With The Nolands
- Chicken Tortilla Soup by What Smells So Good?
- Chicken Corn Chowder by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Spinach and Mushroom Tortellini Soup by Neighborfood
- Beefy Skillet Nacho Bake by The Weekend Gourmet
- German Onion Soup by Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Korean Oxtail Soup (Kkori Gomtang) by kimchi MOM
- Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili by Alida’s Kitchen
“Put meat on your bones” Stews
- Pepper Beef Stew by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Slow Cooked Beef Stew with Red Wine, Carrots and Tomatoes by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Fabulous French Cassoulet by Webicurean
- Slowcooker Coq Au Vin by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Claypot Braised Tofu by My Trials in the Kitchen
- Moroccan Lentil Ragout with Poached Eggs by The Wimpy Vegetarian
“Make room for seconds” Main Dishes
- Slow Cooker Hawaiian Kalua Pork by Shockingly Delicious
- Chicken and Dumplings by Hip Foodie Mom
- Spicy Tomato Pasta by Supper for a Steal
- Carnitas with Queso Fresco Enchiladas by Casa de Crews
- Slow Cooker Garlic and Herb Pork Chops and Veggies by Cookin’ Mimi
- Asian Chicken Rice Pot by a distinguished palate
- Quick One Pot Red Beans and Rice by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Sweet & Sour Vegetarian Stir Fry by Foxes Love Lemons
- Beef and Quince Tajine by MarocMama
- Slow-Cooked Italian Beef Sandwiches by Juanita’s Cocina
- Mediterranean Chicken Bake by The Dinner-Mom
- Easy Chorizo, Corn and Potatoes by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Pan-fried Chicken with Bacon and Asparagus by Food Lust People Love
- Vegetarian Chipotle Tamale Pie by Curious Cuisiniere
- Turkey Sausage and Noodle Pesto by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- One Pot Coconut Rice Shrimp Pilaf by Sue’s Nutrition Buzzz
- One Pot Spicy Pasta by Mess Makes Food
“Can’t say no” Desserts
- Vegan Chocolate-Peanut Butter Pudding by Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Busy-Day S’mores Cake by Treats & Trinkets
- Mascarpone Pumpkin Cheesecake in the Microwave by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Slow Cooker Pumpkin Pie Spice Apple Crisp by Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Flourless Almond Butter Cookies by Pies and Plots
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on Twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET and you do not want to miss out on the fun. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here → Sunday Supper Movement