Cream of Tomato and Tortellini Soup
#SundaySupper again and this week we are bringing you One Pot Recipes, what could be easier than that!!? I love one pot meals, like this Cream of Tomato and Tortellini Soup, hardly any clean up, perfect for a weekday meal. Any dish can be a cinch with fuss free one pot recipes. Chilis, chowders, soups, stews, one pot entrees and even desserts come to mind!!
I had this recipe in my cookbook for years, not quite sure who I got it from now. With the addition of the tortellini it is a meal in a bowl. You can strain it to be creamy and smooth but we liked it a bit more chunky! It has a little trick in it to, with the addition of baking soda making the tomatoes less acidic, so they don’t curdle the milk. I hadn’t see that before, worked like a charm. Serve it with a big cheesy bun and a salad and you have a fantastic and easy meal in no time. Enjoy!!
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 4 Tbsp. flour
- 4 cups homo milk
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1-28 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 9 oz. package tortellini
- Fill a large pot with salted water and bring to a boil. Cook tortellini according to package. Drain and set aside.
- In the same pot melt the butter over medium heat and cook the onion until softened but not browned. Add the flour and stir, cooking for 1 min. Slowly add the milk, whisking. Add the Italian seasoning, sugar, salt and continue to cook and stir until slightly thickened. Stir the baking soda into the tomatoes. Add the tomatoes into the milk. This will stop the soup from curdling, reducing the acidity!!
- Bring to a simmer and strain if desired. Adjust seasoning. Add the tortellinin and serve. Sprinkle with parsley for garnish.
Look at all these amazing one pot wonders. You will want to try them all!!!
“Take the chill off” Chilis, Soups, and Starters
- Spicy Sausage and Sweet Potato Soup by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Cream of Tomato and Tortellini Soup by Noshing With The Nolands
- Chicken Tortilla Soup by What Smells So Good?
- Chicken Corn Chowder by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Spinach and Mushroom Tortellini Soup by Neighborfood
- Beefy Skillet Nacho Bake by The Weekend Gourmet
- German Onion Soup by Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Korean Oxtail Soup (Kkori Gomtang) by kimchi MOM
- Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili by Alida’s Kitchen
“Put meat on your bones” Stews
- Dr. Pepper Shredded Chicken (slow cooker) by girlichef
- Pepper Beef Stew by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Slow Cooked Beef Stew with Red Wine, Carrots and Tomatoes by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Fabulous French Cassoulet by Webicurean
- Slowcooker Coq Au Vin by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Claypot Braised Tofu by My Trials in the Kitchen
- Moroccan Lentil Ragout with Poached Eggs by The Wimpy Vegetarian
“Make room for seconds” Main Dishes
- Slow Cooker Hawaiian Kalua Pork by Shockingly Delicious
- Chicken and Dumplings by Hip Foodie Mom
- Spicy Tomato Pasta by Supper for a Steal
- Carnitas with Queso Fresco Enchiladas by Casa de Crews
- Slow Cooker Garlic and Herb Pork Chops and Veggies by Cookin’ Mimi
- Jambalaya by Country Girl in the Village
- Asian Chicken Rice Pot by a distinguished palate
- Quick One Pot Red Beans and Rice by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Sweet & Sour Vegetarian Stir Fry by Foxes Love Lemons
- Beef and Quince Tajine by MarocMama
- Slow-Cooked Italian Beef Sandwiches by Juanita’s Cocina
- Mediterranean Chicken Bake by The Dinner-Mom
- Easy Chorizo, Corn and Potatoes by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Crockpot Roasted Corn, Tomato and Broccoli Risotto by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Pan-fried Chicken with Bacon and Asparagus by Food Lust People Love
- Vegetarian Chipotle Tamale Pie by Curious Cuisiniere
- Turkey Sausage and Noodle Pesto by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- One Pot Coconut Rice Shrimp Pilaf by Sue’s Nutrition Buzzz
- One Pot Spicy Pasta by Mess Makes Food
“Can’t say no” Desserts
- Vegan Chocolate-Peanut Butter Pudding by Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Busy-Day S’mores Cake by Treats & Trinkets
- Mascarpone Pumpkin Cheesecake in the Microwave by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Slow Cooker Pumpkin Pie Spice Apple Crisp by Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Flourless Almond Butter Cookies by Pies and Plots
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET and you do not want to miss out on the fun. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here → Sunday Supper Movement