Orange Creme Brulee
This Orange Creme Brulee recipe was a tasty little dessert. Ken made these little decadent cups of sweetness for a dinner party we recently had with our good friends Jodi, Brent and their daughter Jenny. We decided to do tapas and these fit in nicely.
Ken bought me these little spoons and we have been trying to think of the perfect appetizer for them but he then came up with this idea for dessert. Perfect!! Of course, if you don’t have these little cups you can use the traditional custard dishes or ramekins.
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup plus 6 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/3 cups whipping cream
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 2 1/2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Cointreau
- Zest from one orange
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Lightly butter six 3/4 cup ramekins or custard cups or in our case 16 deep ceramic spoons.
- Beat egg yolks and 1/2 cup sugar in medium bowl to blend.
- Bring cream, milk and orange peel to simmer in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Gradually whisk hot cream mixture into yolk mixture. Stir in Cointreau.
- Divide the custard among the dishes or spoons.
- Set in a large baking pan.
- Add enough hot water to the pan so that it comes halfway up the sides of the dish or spoon.
- Bake custard until just set in the center, 25 min. for the spoons and 40 min. for the ramekins.
- Remove from the water. Cool and refrigerate until cold or overnight.
- Preheat broiler or have ready a kitchen blow torch.
- Arrange the dishes on a baking sheet if broiling and sprinkle each with 1 tsp. of sugar or less for each spoon.
- Broil until the sugar browns or alternatively use the torch to brown the sugar.
- Watch them closely so as not to burn them. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 6 hours.
- Garnish with orange rind and serve.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 316Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 279mgSodium: 99mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 1gSugar: 10gProtein: 9g
Recipe calculation was provided by Nutritionix and is estimation only. If you need nutritional calculations for medical reasons, please use a source that you trust.
Recipe adapted from Epicurious.com
This recipe had been added to Slice of Southern’s Southern Sundays
This recipe has been added to CounterTopConfections What’s Cooking Thursday