Easter Basket Cake
This Easter Basket Cake recipe was from a Woman’s World magazine from 1998. I have had this in my recipe book for 13 years until I finally decided to make it last year. It was fun to make but not so “No-bake easy!” as the title made it seem.
The first challenge was finding suitable ingredients. If you have problems finding the exact ingredients you could use any number of substitutions, after all it really is just for fun!
The next was assembly. It takes some time but really if you are careful and patient I’m sure your will turn out fabulously!
Here is what I did to create this cute cake.
- 1/2 cup white chocolate
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable shortening
- 6 cookies, they said Nutter Butter but we don’t get these so anything that resembles that body shape
- 6 round pink sprinkles
- 6 strawberry flavored fruit chews, such as Starburst
- Tube black icing
- 3-16 oz. cans vanilla frosting
- Red and green liquid food coloring
- 4 packages pound cake
- Pastel-colored M&M’s, about 80
- 2 packages of luxury chocolate-filled tube wafers
- 1 cup sweetened coconut
- 1 pkg. multicolored marshmallow rope
- 12 candy eyes
- One wooden skewer
- Melt white chocolate and shortening over a double boiler or in a microwave on medium for 30 seconds at a time and stirring in between.
- Dip one side of the cookie in the chocolate and press in candy eyes and round pink sprinkle for the nose. Repeat with remaining cookies.
- Place them in the refrigerator to quicken the time needed to set.
- Roll out Starburst to 1/8″ thick.
- With clean scissors cut out 1 3/4 inch bunny ear, repeat to have 12 ears made.
- Dip one of the ends in white chocolate and place two on the back of each bunny cookie to make the ears.
- Let set in the refrigerator again.
- With the black icing and a small tip pipe whiskers on each cookie. Keep in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Tint the frosting with the red food coloring until you get the desired color.
- Place 2 cups into a piping bag with the desired tip and set aside.
- Ice the bottom of one of the cakes and place in on a serving platter. Attach another cake to the first cake with icing on the vertical side and bottom. Ice the top of both cakes.
- Attach the next two cakes with frosting on the vertical side. Frost top and sides with the remaining frosting.
- In a bowl toss coconut and food coloring to the desired color. You can add a few drops of water to help get better coverage, set aside.
- Press M&M’s into the bottom of the cake and place the tube wafers up the sides. Leave a 1 1/2″ gap on either side of the cake for the handle.
- Press M&M’s around the top of the wafers. With reserved icing pipe alternating horizontal lines over the cookies to make the basketweave.
- Press marshmallow rope into sides. For extra support insert a wooden skewer to prop up handle until ready to serve.
- Insert bunny cookies into the cake and surround with the green coconut. Have a Hoppy Easter!!
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 420Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 209mgCarbohydrates: 64gFiber: 1gSugar: 53gProtein: 2g
Recipe calculation was provided by Nutritionix and is estimation only. If you need nutritional calculations for medical reasons, please use a source that you trust.