The #SundaySupper team have got you covered for this week of recipes. What does that mean? It can mean, “Need a good stew recipe?” We have got you covered with this Excellent Beef Stew recipe!!! Or it can mean when something is cooked with a cover on it, again like this Excellent Beef Stew done in a slow cooker. It is also up for interpretation!!! We could let our minds wander to where we wanted to go with this one. It also included, like the icing on a cake is a covering, or the crisp topping on a casserole. You have to check out all the recipes to see where this one has taken the individual. How exciting, I can’t wait to see what everyone is up to.
Well for me, I picked this Excellent Beef Stew recipe. I am not even sure where this recipe came from, I believe it is our creation, it is in Ken’s handwriting. It makes an enormous amount of stew. I wanted to make it in the slow cooker so I reduced the ingredients somewhat so that it would fit, otherwise I use my enormous pot that barely fits in my oven. This is a more manageable amount.
There are a lot of ingredients but that is what makes it so delicious. It is also very easy to prepare as there is no browning of the meat. I know, crazy right? You will never know as this has so much flavor you can omit that step and just put the meat straight into the Crockpot. I love it!! So little mess!! It is truly a one pot stew. We used to put in a package of spicy onion soup but they don’t make it anymore so I have added some crushed red pepper flakes and it does the job perfectly. The tapioca thickens it awesomely as it cooks, it really is an Excellent Beef Stew, after the first time we made it, that is what Ken called it!!
This recipe can be easily gluten free if you make sure your onion soup mix is compliant. ENJOY!!!
- 2½ lbs. stewing beef, cut into small cubes
- 2-28 oz. cans diced tomatoes
- 1 medium onion
- 3 medium potatoes, cubed
- 1 pkg. dried onion soup mix
- ½ tsp. crushed red pepper
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 parsnips, peeled and sliced
- 1 tsp. celery seed
- Garlic salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup red wine
- ½ cup minit tapioca
- 7 oz. mushrooms, sliced
- Add all the ingredients into a large slow cooker and mix carefully. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Adjust seasoning before serving.
Covered Appetizers and Entreés
- Slow Cooker Cheesy Party Mix from Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Personal Steak Pot Pies from The Foodie Army Wife
- Slowcooker Bean and Ham Soup from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Butternut Squash & Cheddar Potatoes Au Gratin from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Salmon en Croute from Curious Cuisiniere
- Excellent Beef Stew from Noshing With The Nolands
- Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy from Food Lust People Love
- Pigs in a Blanket (Cabbage Rolls) from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Banana Coffee Cake with Chocolate Chip Streusel from Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Bacon Cinnamon Rolls with Maple Frosting from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Streusel Topped Apple Pie from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Dark Chocolate Cake Batter Truffles from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Chocolate Satin Pie from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Banana Butterscotch Muffin-Cake from What Smells So Good?
- Chocolate Banoffee Pie from Happy Baking Days
- Chocolate Covered “Party Popcorn” from Ruffles & Truffles
- Caramel Apple Bundt Cake from Pies and Plots
Not Sure What To Do? We Got You Covered
- Cilantro Turkey Salad with Farro and Mango from Shockingly Delicious covering turkey leftovers
- Back to Basics: How to Truss a Chicken for Roasting from Crazy Foodie Stunts covering a cooking technique
- Peppermint Whip Cream from Peanut Butter and Peppers covering a vegan and dairy-free dessert topping
- Gluten Free Lego Cookies from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks covering a gluten-free dessert
- Cranberry Walnut Crumble Bars from Magnolia Days covering an idea for fresh cranberries
- Raspberry Swirl Cheesecake Bars from Alida’s Kitchen covering a quick and easy cheesecake fix
- Homemade Yellow Cake Mix from Treats & Trinkets covering a cake mix without the chemicals from store-bought ones
- Waffled Cranberry Cream Cheese Turkey Sandwiches from Neighborfood covering turkey leftovers
- Apple Cider Doughnuts from The Texan New Yorker covering a dish made at home so you don’t need to wait in long lines for it
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.