Fresh Vietnamese Summer Rolls
These Fresh Vietnamese Summer Rolls don’t really depict summer to me as we have them all year round. Just like spring rolls aren’t eaten just in the spring. This post first appeared over at Real Housemoms where also I’m a contributor. Today I wanted to share it with you here! Another name for these summer rolls is Vietnamese Spring Rolls.
They are not complicated to make and they are super healthy especially loading them with lots of fresh veggies. The peanut dipping sauce makes it fun for kids to enjoy also!!
Fresh, fun and lively flavors make up these great rolls. They can be served easily as a make ahead appetizer or as part of a main course. They would go great with an Easy Vietnamese Pho for a delicious Asian dinner. Ken has made these many, many times and we love them. I am dying for them already again!!
I do crave these a lot and get them from the store already made but they are no way close to this wonderful homemade recipe. They are always disappointing in comparison. Make some for your family today. They will love you for it!!
Fresh Vietnamese Summer Rolls
- A dish containing 3 Tbsp. warm water (a pie plate works well)
- 10 rice paper wrappers
- Julienned carrots, prepackaged, about equal to one carrot
- 1 small cucumber, julienned
- Bean sprouts
- 1 oz. cooked rice vermicelli noodles
- Fresh mint and cilantro
- 16 cooked shrimp, cut in half length-wise, chilled
Peanut Dipping Sauce
- 1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
- 2 1/2 Tbsp. Hoisin sauce
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 Tbsp. lime juice
- 3 Tbsp. warm water
- Whisk together the peanut dipping sauce ingredients and then set aside.
- Have all your ingredients ready and out for easy assembly.
- Working with one rice wrapper at a time, dip the wrapper into the water for 15-20 seconds. Don't let it get too soggy, you want it still slightly firm but pliable. Place it on a flat surface, it may stick slightly to wood. Pat the wrapper sightly dry. Place three halved shrimp lined up on the lower half of the wrapper, top with carrots, cucumber, bean sprouts, rice vermicelli, mint sprig and cilantro leaves.
- Roll up the summer roll like a spring roll or burrito, folding in the bottom and sides and place on a serving dish. They may stick to each other slightly but usually pull apart fairly easily. They are best eaten the day of but will keep for lunch the next day if wrapped well with plastic wrap.
- Serve with the peanut dipping sauce, hoisin and sriracha.
Here is the delicius Easy Vietamese Pho that would be wonderful with these Fresh Vietnamese Summer Rolls. The Pho recipe is super easy and so full of wondefully healthy ingredients also. It is one that we have made many times too!
Comments & Reviews
Joy Hemp says
Great photo of the Vietnamese Spring Rolls. The photo alone makes them look delicious.
Stacie @ Divine Lifestyle says
How delicious! I love spring rolls, but I’ve never made them before. Thanks for sharing this recipe.
Ah those are beautiful! I made egg rolls and my family loves them! Gotta try these now 🙂
Olivia Douglass says
Yum!!! Thank you for sharing these delicious summer rolls. I’m going to have to try them!
valmg @ Mom Knows It All says
That looks terrific! I have been looking for rice wrappers like this in my area without much luck.
Tara Noland says
We have them in our local grocery store in the Asian section, shouldn’t be too hard to find.
Those look amazing! I need to try them out soon. I love this kind of food! I bet they taste so good!
Kelly Hutchinson says
Yum! Those look so amazing. I have never tried these before. But I am definitely going to now.
I’ve always been scared to make my own, but you make it look easy. I’m going to have to try the recipe. Thanks!
Autumn @Mamachallenge says
That looks so good! My husband would love this for dinner some time.
Nancy @ whispered inspirations says
Great recipe! We love summer rolls and Vietnamese pho in this house! So trying your recipe thanks!
Lisa Bristol says
I have never had Vietnamese Summer Rolls before. They looks so delicious I can not wait to give them a try.
Ann Bacciaglia says
I would love to try these Vietnamese Summer Rolls. I will have to get the ingredients I need to make some this weekend.
These look so fresh and delicious! We’ve been trying to eat cleaner lately and I think this would be perfect. We will be making these.
Wow, these look so fresh and delicious! I would love to try them out with my family too.
Pamela Morse says
This looks so fresh and delicious. I could love this without the shrimp, and it could be a breakthrough in Asian cuisine ( which I rarely attempt) because it is super easy. Thanks Tara