Friday Night Cooking Class/Strawberry Chocolate Eclairs
Friday Night Cooking Class/Strawberry Chocolate Eclairs, introducing Annika. She is another friend from school who loves to cook. The eclairs turned out great and they had much fun making them.
I decided to take advantage of Tiffany not being here and make something with strawberries. Tiffany hates them and we love them so much. So instead of the traditional filling we lightened them up (not calorie-wise) with whipped cream and strawberries.
Making the pate a choux pastry can be arduous work for little arms, beating the eggs in one at a time. So we used the mixer instead. Sorry for the drool factor!! Enjoy!!
- 1 cup of water
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 4 eggs
- Egg Wash
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tsp. water
- Chocolate Glaze
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 4 oz. semi-sweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- Whipped Cream Filling
- 2 cups whipping cream
- Sugar to taste
- 10 strawberries, Sliced
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Line two baking sheets with Silpats or parchment paper.
- In a large saucepan, bring the water, butter, sugar, and salt to a rolling boil.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and immediately dump in the cup of flour. Stir with a wooden spoon until the mixture comes together to form a dough.
- Put it back on the heat for 30 seconds, continuing to stir.
- Remove the pastry to a mixing bowl of a mixer with a paddle attachment.
- Start mixing at medium speed, add the eggs in one at a time scraping down the sides after each addition and mixing well.
- Mix until the pastry is glossy and smooth.
- Place pastry into a pastry bag fitted with a large plain tip and pipe long fat lengths of pastry onto the Silpat lined cookie sheet leaving 2″ of space between.
- Whisk the egg and water together. Brush the tops of the eclair with the egg wash.
- Bake at 450F for 15 min. and then reduce heat to 375F and bake about 20 min. more or until light golden brown. I used the convection setting and baked for 12 min. and then at the reduced heat 15 min. more.
- Let cool on a wire rack.
- Place the chocolate shavings in a pie plate.
- Heat the cream over medium heat in a small saucepan until simmering.
- Pour over the coarsely chopped chocolate and stir until melted.
- Dip eclairs in the chocolate mixture. Let set for one hour in the refrigerator.
- Slice each eclair in half but not all the way through.
- Whip cream and sugar together to form stiff peaks.
- Spread inside the sliced eclair and insert 3-4 sliced strawberries.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 302Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 130mgSodium: 131mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 1gSugar: 9gProtein: 5g
Recipe calculation was provided by Nutritionix and is estimation only. If you need nutritional calculations for medical reasons, please use a source that you trust.
So insanely good!!