Lime Curd Tarts
Lime Curd Tarts caught my eye. The recipe is for Blackberry Lime Meringue Pie but changed up and made into tarts. I changed it up even more and used what I had on hand.
The recipe is vegan friendly minus a meringue topping but I wanted to play around with it. So I made our version of a pie crust and instead of using lard like we usually do, I used all-vegetable shortening.
There is a product on the market called vegan butter but I didn’t purchase that and did use butter in the lime curd, sorry I know I blew it there but if you want to be vegan you can purchase the vegan butter.
What I did want to try was a non-dairy whipped topping called Rice Whip. This intrigued me to see how it tasted.
There are lots of people that are lactose intolerant so this would be a good alternative for them if it tasted good. I put some on a little tart and hmmm, not bad at all, you could hardly notice.
So if you want to be vegan or have a dairy intolerance or you are serving a company with this need I highly recommend it.
Those Little Tarts!
The little tarts asked for a blackberry compote to go with the lime tart but the blackberries were so gorgeous and sweet we were just eating them the way they were.
I decided to skipped that and served them fresh with the tart. If you do this I would recommend making the lime curd a bit thicker and a bit sweeter.
It was pretty tart. Amber and I enjoyed it but Ken felt that they were too tart and I felt they were a bit runny. Amber loved everything about them including the rice whip and gobbled them down.
The Petite Treats cookbook has lots of very interesting recipes and I will have to try more. I am glad I went on this little vegan adventure, it is all about learning and trying new things.
- Pie crust, homemade or store-bought, vegan optional
- 3/4 cup lime juice
- 1 Tbsp. grated lime zest
- 3/4 cup sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. cornstarch, dissolved in 1 1/2 Tbsp. cold water
- 1 Tbsp. coconut milk
- 1 Tbsp. butter or vegan butter, cut into small pieces
- Fresh blackberries
- Whipped cream or rice whipped topping
- Preheat oven to 350F. Roll out a 1/4 of the dough (wrap and freeze the leftover in thirds for another use) on a floured surface and cut 3 1/2" rounds and place in a muffin pan that is sprayed with cooking oil.
- Repeat to make 12. Add mini pie weights to each cup and bake for 20 min. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- To make the curd combine the lime juice, zest, sugar, and salt in a medium saucepan. Stir well over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved. Add the cornstarch mixture and the coconut milk.
- Continue to cook and stir until the mixture begins to thicken and it just comes to a boil. Add the butter and continue stirring until the mixture is like pudding. Remove from heat.
- Transfer to a heatproof bowl and cover with plastic wrap so that the plastic wrap is in contact with the curd.
- Refrigerate to cool.
- To assemble the tarts remove tarts from the pan and place on a plate. Fill with lime curd and top with whipped topping and a blackberry.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 162Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 5mgSodium: 87mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 1gSugar: 14gProtein: 1g
Recipe calculation was provided by Nutritionix and is estimation only. If you need nutritional calculations for medical reasons, please use a source that you trust.