Mexican Meatball Soup
I am doing a review of another cookbook for you today and a delicious Mexican Meatball Soup. An easy Mexican cookbook. Right up my alley.
We all love Mexican food here. Fresh, fast, and simple are what Mexican brings to mind. I let Ken flip through the pages of this beautiful cookbook and he actually picked out two recipes. I will share both of them with you.
One today and one on Saturday. Both of them easy and delicious. Today we have a Mexican soup. I haven’t really had that many Mexican soups before except for a variety of Tortilla soup.
This one proved to be a winner. Ken actually made it too!! I love that even more!!
Kelly Cleary Coffeen is the author of this authentic Mexican cookbook but a few dishes have been North Americanized like her Chile Con Queso or Beef Fajitas.
The book is packed full of amazing recipes from appetizers, to soup, stews, tacos, tostadas, cocktails, desserts and so much more. I personally could eat Mexican food all day long!!
I will be trying many more from this cookbook for sure. So pull out your pot and make this soup and then go and check out the rest of the recipes in this wonderful cookbook.
- 1 lb. ground beef, preferably sirloin
- 2 Tbsp. long-grain white rice
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup fresh oregano leaves
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 cups beef broth, sodium-reduced
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 carrot peeled and sliced
- 2 Tbsp. minced cilantro
- Meatballs: In a large bowl, combine meat, rice, egg, oregano, salt, and pepper. Roll into 1" meatballs.
- Soup: In a large pot, heat the oil over medium-low heat.
- Add the onions and cook, stirring, until softened, 3-5 min. Add garlic and cook stirring for 2 min. Add broth and tomato paste.
- Increase heat to medium-high. Bring to a boil. Add the carrots and cook until carrots are soft 20-30 min. Reduce heat to a simmer.
- Gently add meatballs to the simmering broth. Cover and simmer until meatballs are no longer pink inside and rice is tender about 30 min.
- Ladle into individual bowls. Garnish with cilantro.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 240Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 83mgSodium: 1257mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 23g
Recipe calculation was provided by Nutritionix and is estimation only. If you need nutritional calculations for medical reasons, please use a source that you trust.