Sausage and Curly Kale Chowder
Rarely now a days does a book come up for review that is as gorgeous as this one. A hard cover cookbook with countless mouthwatering photos, one after another. A true love of Great Homemade Soups was poured into this cookbook.
With cooler weather we devour soup. I love big hearty soups, thick and creamy or light and brothy. There is nothing that fills your kitchen with such wonderful aromas like soup or fills your soul with such goodness.
This hearty soup that we chose is definitely a meal in a bowl and in the winter months that is what I love the most. Something nutritious and delicious to feed my family.
The beautiful hardcover edition includes 100 recipes from classics and beyond. Soups like Vietnamese Vegetable Pho, Columbian Ajiaco, Japanese Shititake-Enoki Miso Noodle Soup, Sardinian Chick Pea and Fennel Soup, Ethiopian Yam, Peanut and Ginger Soup.
The cookbook also includes broths and consommes, smooth and creamy, hearty and wholesome soup, traditional favorites, wild and exotic soup and chilled soups.
There are masterful lessons with key techniques done with step by step photographs. Plus Paul, the author has invited contributions from some of his favorite world-class chefs, making this book a must have for anyone!!
The soup has a selection of fresh and smoked sausage giving you a different taste in each mouthful. Plus the addition of carrots, celery, potatoes and the newly fashionable but ultra nutritious curly kale. We love all those ingredients!!!
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 300 gm. (10 oz.) chicken sausage
- 100 gm. (3½ oz.) cooking chorizo sausage, skinned and cut
- into 1 inch slices
- 150 gm. (5½ oz.) Kielbasa sausages, cut into ½ inch slices
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 carrots, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 2 celery, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 750 ml. (3 cups) chicken stock
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 250 gm. (9 oz.) new potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 300 gm. (10 oz.) curly kale, torn into small pieces
- 100 ml. (1/2 cup) single cream
- sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
- pinch of chili powder
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat, then add the chicken sausages. Reduce the heat and cook for 10-15 min., turning occasionally, until the sausages are cooked through. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside. When cool enough to handle cut into ¾ inch slices.
- Meanwhile add the chorizo and Kielbasa sausage slices to the pan and fry for 2 min., turning occasionally, until lightly colored. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the onion, garlic, carrots and celery to the juices in the pan, cover with a lid and cook for 5 min., or until the vegetables begin to soften. Pour the stock over and add the thyme and potatoes. Stir, then cover the pan and simmer for about 15 min., or until the vegetables are just tender.
- Add the kale and simmer for 10-15 min., or until the kale is cooked. Add the cream, return all the sausages to the pan and season with salt, pepper and chili powder to taste. Discard the thyme.
- Divide the soup between 4 individual soup bowls and serve immediately.
- Variation: Sausage and Mixed Bean Soup. Proceed as for the basic soup but replace the chard with a can of drained and rinsed mixed beans. Omit the cream.