Stuffing on the outside
We have made this Stuffing on the outside recipe a few times and it is so good. I initially got the idea from Martha Stewart. I think I have changed it up a bit since then. A lot of people have a love-hate relationship with Martha but I have to admit I have had a love-love relationship with her.
Back in the day, I used to tape all her shows on my VCR (I know I’m dating myself!). I probably still have them. I, of course, have always gotten her magazine and give it also as gifts. Anyway, I digress, back to the chicken at hand. This is a great recipe.
The stuffing is on the outside. Your bird cooks on top of the stuffing. I love it when you prep and then place the meal in the oven so you can sit back with your hubby and chat and have a cocktail. Then voila a beautiful meal emerges from the oven.
Add some simple veggies and a packaged gravy (horror, upon horror, yes packaged gravy) and you have a great Sunday supper. Enjoy!!
- 7 Tbsp. butter
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 small bulbs of fennel, thinly sliced
- 2 celery stalks, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lb. mushrooms, sliced
- 6 cups day-old or crusty artisan bread
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tsp. crumbled sage
- 1 whole chicken 3-4 lbs, good quality
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Melt 2 tbsp. butter in a large skillet over high heat. Cook onion, celery, fennel, and garlic until tender.
- Season with salt and pepper and remove from pan.
- In the same pan, saute the mushrooms in 2-4 Tbsp. butter in batches if necessary.
- Add to the onion mixture.
- Stir in bread, stock, juice, and sage and season with salt and pepper.
- Place stuffing in a large roaster and place washed and dried chicken, breast side up on stuffing.
- Rub chicken with the last Tbsp. of butter and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Roast for 1 1/2 hours depending on the size of your chicken until the chicken registers at 165F in the largest part of the thigh.
- Cover chicken with foil if needed during cooking so as not to burn.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 516Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 124mgSodium: 498mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 4gSugar: 7gProtein: 34g
Recipe calculation was provided by Nutritionix and is estimation only. If you need nutritional calculations for medical reasons, please use a source that you trust.