Sweet Potato and Quinoa Salad
For #TheSaladBar this month’s theme was sweet potatoes. I kept trying to think of a warm potato salad, a variation of a German potato salad but it never came to fruition in my noggin.
Then I started thinking more festive, something that would go well with turkey. I came up with this Sweet Potato and Quinoa Salad, it is perfect.
So I added cranberries to start, then went the quinoa root, kept adding a few more ingredients like the crunch from a pine nut and a lovely simple dressing and MAN was this salad good.
We had it with a thin quick grill steak. I loved the addition of goat’s cheese, it added just the right zing and creaminess. This is a great make-ahead salad for Thanksgiving or Christmas. ENJOY!!!
This is a great make-ahead salad for Thanksgiving or Christmas. ENJOY!!!
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup quinoa, cooked per manufacturer's instructions
- 1/2 cup craisins
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
- Goat cheese
- Preheat oven to 350F. Toss sweet potatoes with olive oil and salt and pepper to taste.
- Roast for 15-20 min. until browning slightly. Toss again and cook for another 10 min. or until tender.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- Whisk together the 1/3 cup olive oil and white wine vinegar, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Toss quinoa with craisins, pine nuts, and 2 of the green onions.
- Add the sweet potatoes and the dressing.
- Garnish with goat cheese and more green onion.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 277Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 2mgSodium: 73mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 3gSugar: 11gProtein: 4g
Recipe calculation was provided by Nutritionix and is estimation only. If you need nutritional calculations for medical reasons, please use a source that you trust
Come and join in the fun monthly on #TheSaladBar Facebook page.