HAPPY FATHER’S DAY TO ALL THE DADS OUT THERE!! We have a special Father’s Day post for you all today. Black Forest Cake is Ken’s favorite and I have never made it for him, so for a special Father’s Day treat I made him this gorgeous cake!!
This is a special cake that takes time, not something you just whip up!! At least not for me. There is recipe development, shopping, making the cake, assembling and decorating but I enjoyed making it and giving him his favorite for his special day. The cake actually gets better with time so it is a good make ahead.
Luscious whipped cream, cherries and genoise chocolate cake take the stage together in this traditional master piece.
I started with an Epicurious recipe but in the end not too much resembled the original. I had a vision in my head as to how I wanted the cake too look.
Ken loved it, so I was thrilled, it only took me 25 years to make him this one, I am sure it won’t take me 25 more to make him another!!!
- 4 Tbsp. melted butter
- 1 cup flour
- ⅓ cup Cocoa
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 8 large eggs
- 1 cup superfine sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup water
- 1 oz. Kirsch
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 3 Tbsp. superfine sugar
- 3-4 cups cherry pie filling
- 3 oz. milk chocolate, grated
- To Make the Cake: Preheat oven to 350F. Spray two 8" round cake pan with cooking spray and dust with flour. You may want to add a round or parchment paper on the bottom to prevent sticking also. My cake did stick just slightly.
- Whisk together the flour, cocoa and salt and set aside. In the bowl of a standup mixer with a paddle attachment beat the eggs and sugar with the vanilla, together at high speed until the mixture is tripled in volume. It should be very thick and fluffy and will take about 8 min. Remove the bowl from the stand and fold the flour mixture in until well mixed. Pour in the slightly cooled butter and incorporate well.
- Quickly pour the batter into the prepared pans, tap lightly to remove any really large air bubbles and then bake for 30-35 min until the middle springs back. Let the cakes cool completely on a rack. If the cakes are domed remove them after 5 min. of cooling and flip onto a cooling rack, this will flatten them out slightly.
- Syrup: While the cake is baking make the syrup by combining the water, sugar and Kirsch in a small pot. Cook stirring until the mixture boils and the sugar is dissolved. Set aside to cool.
- Assembly: Whip the cream in a cold bowl with a cold whisk (I always put mine in the freezer) until firm peaks. Divide the cream into 5 batches, this will make it easier for decorating and assembly and then you won't run out of cream.
- With a serrated knife or a cake cutter, slice the two cakes in half horizontally. Line the outside of a cake platter or plate with about 4 pieces of wax paper around the outer edges of the plate, you will remove these after decorating which will leave you with a clean edge. Place one quarter of the cake on a plate or cake stand, crumbly side up. Brush the cake with ¼ of the syrup. Smooth on ⅕ of the whipped cream right to the end of the cake. Top with approx. ⅔ cup of cherry pie filling. Top with the other two layers, repeating the syrup, cream and cherries, pressing the cake down slightly with each new layer. Top with the last layer of cake and brush with the remaining syrup.
- Take ⅕ of the cream and ice the side of the cake. Top the middle of the cake with 1½ cups to 2 cups of pie filling and spread to almost the edge. Don't put too much on that it will flow over the sides. You can add more still after the cream edge. Place the last ⅕ of the whipped cream in a piping bag and pipe small rosettes around the top edge of the cake. With your hand, quickly and carefully tap the grated milk chocolate onto the side of the cake. Carefully remove the wax paper edge.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve. The cake can be made a day ahead.
Recipe adapted from Epicurious
Look at all the amazing recipes we have for you today to celebrate Man Food, come and look at them all!!
- BBQ Chicken Nacho by Country Girl in The Kitchen
- Beer Battered Fried Mushrooms by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Burrata Bresaola and Arugula Appetizer by Family Foodie
- Chicken Satay with Spicy Peanut Sauce by Hip Foodie Mom
- Chipotle Pork Belly-Stuffed Jalapeño Poppers by The Redhead Baker
- Coconut Beer-Battered Prawns with Spicy Marmalade by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Devils on Horseback by Nosh My Way
- Fried Pickles by Cookin’ Mimi
- Garlic and Herb Wine Jelly by What Smells So Good?
- Maple Sriracha Chicken Wings by Manu’s Menu
- Tomato Bacon Jam by Feed Me, Seymour
- Bacon Bourbon BBQ Burgers by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Bacon Cheeseburger Crustless Quiche by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Beef Barbacoa by Casa de Crews
- Beef Short Rib Sandwich by Life Tastes Good
- Beer Brats with Pepper Relish by Jelly Toast
- Beer Can Chicken by Curious Cuisiniere
- Chicago Style-Pizza by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Chili Dog Casserole by Simple Gourmet
- Chipotle Pork Chops by girlichef
- Coconut & Lime Grilled Shrimp Skewers by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Colossal Burger by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Gluten Free Lemon Pepper Wings by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Grilled Chipotle Chicken Pizza by Peaceful Cooking
- Grilled Lobster with Miso Butter by Kimchi MOM
- Grilled Sweet Guava Chicken by The Foodie Army Wife
- Ham and Pineapple Pizza Pockets by gotta get baked
- Huevos Rancheros Casserole by Pescetarian Journal
- Lacquered Short Ribs in the Slow Cooker by Shockingly Delicious
- Maple Chipotle Barbecue Pork Tenderloin by Flavor Mosaic
- Meatball Burger on Garlic Bread by Healthy.Delicious.
- Mom’s Slow Roasted Brisket by Food Lust People Love
- Perfectly Pan Seared Steak by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Pollo al Peperoncino by Run DMT
- Polish Coal Miner Piggies (Stuffed Cabbage Rolls- Golabki) by Rants from my Crazy Kitchen
- Red Chile Shredded Chicken Tacos. How to win over your man’s stomach and steal his heart. by Simply Healthy Family
- Ropa Vieja by Meal Diva
- Salt of the Earth Ribs by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Salisbury Steak w/ Loaded Mashed Potatoes and Mushroom Gravy by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Smoked Turkey Drumsticks by Cindy’s Recipes and Writing
- Stuffed Chipotle Bacon Cheese Burgers by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Stuffed Pork Chops by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Tex-Mex Gut Buster Chili by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- The Cleveland Hogg Burger by Seduction in the Kitchen
- Beer Funnel Cake by Killer Bunnies, Inc.
- Black Forest Cake by Noshing with the Nolands
- Carob Chip Cookies by Pies and Plots
- Chunky Monkey Vegan Banana Bread by Ninjabaking.com
- Classic Cheesecake by Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Fat Man’s Pie by Magnolia Days
- Mandarin orange cake aka southern pig pickin’ cake by Baking & Browning
- Pizookies by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Grilled Pound Cake Stacks with Roasted Strawberries by Melanie Makes
- Strawberry Rhubarb Pie With Mascarpone Cream by La Bella Vita Cucina
Wine Pairings for Man Food #SundaySupper byENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our#SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.