This easy-to-make moist Banana Bread Recipe puts those over-ripe bananas to good use. Topped with big gorgeous pecans and pecans throughout the loaf, this recipe is irresistible.
Tried and True Banana Bread Recipe
I love making Banana Bread; in fact, the whole family loves banana bread! It’s so easy to whip up a loaf, and who doesn’t love a warm slice of banana bread with a pat of melted butter? We almost always have bananas in the house, and on occasion, when they may be getting a little old and are maybe too ripe to eat, I toss them in the freezer.
Once I have a few collected in my freezer, I will bake up a couple of loaves. Because we are a small family, there are only the 3 of us, I may put a loaf in the freezer for later. They also make a wonderful hostess gift if you are going for a visit to someone’s house!!
Here is my tried and true recipe; I hope your family loves it as much as mine!!
Helpful Items For This Recipe
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a small portion from qualifying purchases at no extra charge to you.
What Ingredients Are in Banana Bread?
The ingredients are simple and common. You may have all you need at home already. I love using sour cream for the little tang, and along with the bananas, it keeps the baked banana bread moist.
Butter – This has to be softened at room temperature. I also like to use salted butter for most of my baking and just use salt as needed. Having to buy unsalted butter and wasting it doesn’t work for me.
Granulated white sugar – I think this is the best sugar to use, and I have not tried brown, coconut, or other sugars.
Large eggs – Eggs add structure, texture, and flavor to most baking, and in this recipe, they are a must.
All-purpose flour – I have not tried this recipe with any other flour, and I believe the a/p flour works best.
Baking soda – This acts as a leavening agent in banana bread, which makes the bread rise.
Salt – Regular table salt works well in most baking, and in this recipe, I find it dissolves quickly and salts appropriately.
Mashed bananas – Use ripe but not over-ripe bananas. You can use thawed frozen bananas, also.
Vanilla extract – I always use good quality vanilla and never artificial vanilla.
Sour cream – You can use full-fat sour cream or half the fat. I wouldn’t use non-fat as you need some fat in the recipe for it to work.
Pecans – You can use either chopped or whole pecans plus more for decorating the top. This is optional, and walnuts can also be substituted for the pecans, but to be honest, I like the pecans in this recipe the best.
How to Make Banana Bread
Banana bread is very simple to make, follow our easy recipe instructions, and you will have success every time. For more tips and tricks, see our Pro Tips section below.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9″×5″ loaf pan with butter and set aside
Using a stand mixer, beat together butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time until smooth. In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt.
Finishing The Bread
Slowly add the dry mixture to the butter mixture and mix until it is incorporated. Add the mashed bananas and then add the sour cream. Gently stir in pecans. Pour into the prepared loaf pan.
Bake at 350 degrees F for 50-60 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for 15 min. on a cooling rack and then invert the pan and release the loaf and let cool completely on a cooling rack.
Recipe Pro Tips!
You want the best bread every time you bake, so here are my tips and tricks to help you to achieve that.
- Use ripe bananas, either fresh or frozen but don’t use really over-ripe bananas.
- Don’t overmix the batter; mix until just incorporated.
- Don’t take shortcuts and measure ingredients properly in measuring cups that are used for either dry ingredients or wet ingredients.
- Have patience; banana bread takes about an hour to cook. Do a test with a toothpick in the middle to see if it is done.
- If the pecans are looking to get overdone on the top, then cover the loaf for the last few minutes with aluminum foil. Personally, I love when a nut is almost on the side of being burnt. So much flavor.
- The best way to freeze bananas is to peel them first and then put them into a freezer bag; pull out what you need when baking.
- You can also freeze banana bread, but first I would suggest, once it is completely cooled, that you wrap it well in plastic wrap and then store it in an air-tight container or a zipper freezer bag.
WANT MORE BANANA RECIPES?
We love to use bananas in this house to make delicious dessert recipes that can be enjoyed anytime. One of our favorite recipes, and one that is super popular too, is our Banana Crumb Muffins. Those are a must-make if you love the flavor of bananas.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup of sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup mashed bananas
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup pecans, chopped or whole, more for decorating the top, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 9"×5″ loaf pan with butter and set aside
- Using a stand mixer, beat together butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Beat in eggs one at a time until smooth.
- In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Slowly add the dry mixture to the butter mixture and mix until it is incorporated.
- Add the mashed bananas and then add the sour cream.
- Gently stir in pecans.
- Pour into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 50-60 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cool in the pan for 15 min. on a cooling rack and then invert pan and release loaf and let cool completely on a cooling rack.
See the post for tips and tricks.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amazon Basics Rectangular Baking Bread Loaf Pan, 9.5 x 5 Inch, Set of 2, Gray
Pyrex Smart Essentials 3-Piece Prepware Mixing Bowl Set, 1-Qt, 1.5-Qt ,and 2.5-Qt Glass Mixing Bowls, Dishwasher, Microwave and Freezer Safe
TILUCK Stainless Steel Measuring Cups & Spoons Set, Cups and Spoons,Kitchen Gadgets for Cooking & Baking
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 283Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 57mgSodium: 375mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 2gSugar: 20gProtein: 4g
Recipe calculation was provided by Nutritionix and is estimation only. If you need nutritional calculations for medical reasons, please use a source that you trust.