Ken has been talking about trying to do corn dogs for a while now and then I saw a picture on Foodgawker and went to the site to grab the recipe. Ken changed it up slightly, added a jalapeno in the middle and I called them Cowboy Corn Dogs With a Twist. WOW, they were great.
The kids gobbled them down in seconds and we enjoyed the ones with the jalapenos. So when you come back from the Stampede and your kids are asking for more you can whip up these little guys and they will be delighted and the big cowboys can have them with the jalapenos!!!
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 8 hot dogs cut into fifths
- 20 jalapenos slices, pickled
- 20 bamboo skewers
- 2/3 cup flour
- 2/3 cup cornmeal
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne
- 1 corn on the cob, grated on a box grater
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tsp. honey
- 1 1/4 cup buttermilk
- Canola oil for frying
- Fill a wok with about 3-4″ of oil. Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with paper towels.
- Whisk the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and soda, salt, and cayenne together.
- In a separate bowl combine the corn, onion, egg, buttermilk, and honey.
- Stir the dry ingredients and the corn mixture together.
- Heat the oil to about 350F.
- Roll the hot dogs and the jalapenos in the cornstarch and then dip in the batter.
- Fry until golden brown flipping halfway through. Fry them in batches to not overcrowd, about 6 pieces at a time.
- Drain on a paper towel-lined tray.
- Skewer on a hot dog then a jalapeno followed by another hot dog.
- Enjoy with whatever condiments you like. We enjoyed them with ketchup.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 20 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 128Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 21mgSodium: 357mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 4g
Recipe calculation was provided by Nutritionix and is estimation only. If you need nutritional calculations for medical reasons, please use a source that you trust.