Pineapple Upside Down Cake for Bringing Back Retro Recipes #SundaySupper
We are getting retro at #SundaySupper. Immediately a Pineapple Upside Down Cake for Bringing Back Retro Recipes #SundaySupper popped into my head. I went straight to my Better Homes and Gardens Dessert Cook Book that was published in 1960, I knew it had to be in there and I was right. I had never made one before but I now know why this cake was so hugely popular back in the 50’s and 60’s. It was around for much longer than that but those decades seem to be when everyone was making it. Dole started canning pineapple rings just after the turn of the century and pineapple replaced apples and cherries that had been popular until then. It has huge flavor and is so delicious. My little cake was gobbled right down.
With it’s ooey gooey caramel topping and the wonderful taste of pineapple, cherries and a little pecan, you can’t get anything better and it was so easy to make. I will be making this one again for sure!!
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- ⅔ cup brown sugar
- 6 canned pineapple rings
- 6 maraschino cheeries
- 5 pecan halves
- ⅓ cup shortening
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1¼ cups cake flour
- 1½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ cup pineapple juice
- Preheat oven to 350F. Drain the pineapple reserving ½ cup of the juice.
- To make the topping melt the butter and pour it into a 9½" cake pan (you may want to spray this first with cooking spray, I didn't and my cake came out fine). Sprinkle in brown sugar and stir to combine. Arrange the pineapple slices, putting a cherry into the middle of each ring and a pecan half at the edge between each slice. Set aside.
- For the cake cream the shortening and sugar. Add the egg and vanilla and beat well until smooth and creamy. Whisk the dry ingredients together.Add the flour mixture alternatively with the pineapple juice and beat well after each addition scraping down the sides. Spread over the pineapple.
- Bake for 40-45 min. until golden and a cake tester comes out clean. Let cool 5 min. Run a knife around the edge of the cake and invert onto a cake platter. Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream if desired or let cool completely.
Recipe adapted from Better Homes and Gardens Dessert Cook Book
Are you ready for more retro recipes? Take a look at what the talented Sunday Supper bloggers are sharing:
Sunday Supper Retro Appetizers:
- Irish Cheddar-Whiskey Fondue by girlichef
Sunday Supper Retro Salads:
- Coca-Cola Salad by Magnolia Days
- Ambrosia Salad by Simply Gourmet
- Romaine “Wedge” Salad with Hot Maple Bacon Dressing by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Sweet & Smoky Broccoli Salad by In The Kitchen with KP
Sunday Supper Retro Breads and Sandwiches:
- Grown-Up Tuna Melts by Home Cooking Memories
- English Muffin Pizzas by Comfy Cuisine
- Patty Melt, Hand Cut Fries, & a Shake by Mooshu Jenne
- Grown-Up Grilled Cheese With Tomato Soup by Catholic Foodie
- Toast Topper #16: Grandma’s Mock Apricot Jam by What Smells So Good?
SundaySupper Main Dishes:
- Chicken Pot Pie Topped With Bacon Cheddar Biscuits by Chocolate Moosey
- Tuna Noodle Casserole by Country Girl in the Village
- Nana’s Marinated Beef Roast by Supper for a Steal
- Chorizo Scotch Eggs by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Chicken Maryland by Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Dairyfree Toast Hawaii by Galactosemia in PDX
- Porcupine Meatballs by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Salmon Quiche with Preserved Lemon by Shockingly Delicious
- Hambak Steak a.k.a. Salisbury Steak by Kimchi Mom
- Retro-Redo: Homemade TV Dinner by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Kicked Up Meatloaf by Curious Cuisiniere
- Shrimp Scampi (a lighter version) by Kudos Kitchen
- Old-Fashioned Pork Chops by My Trials in the Kitchen
- Jägerschnitzel by Sustainable Dad
- Healthier Hamburger-Corn Noodle Casserole by The Weekend Gourmet
- Inspired by Tuna Noodle Casserole by Cookistry
- Meatloaf that will make you swoon and Datz the truth by Midlife Roadtrip
- Tator Tot Casserole by NeighborFood
Sunday Supper Retro Sides and Veggies:
- Smokey Braised Red Cabbage by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon & Balsamic by Dinners, Dishes and Desserts
- Classic Green Bean Casserole Redux by The Wimpy Vegetarian
Sunday Supper Retro Desserts and Cocktails:
- Peachy Keen Tutti-Frutti Jello by La Cocina de Leslie
- Old School Boozy Rum Cake by Webicurean
- Individual Baked Alaskas by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Rainbow Jello by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake by Noshing with the Nolands
- Pineapple Bars by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Creamy Dairy Free Fresh Orange Julius With Coconut Milk by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Refrigerator Strawberry Cheesecake by There and Back Again
- Frozen Pineapple Upside-Down Cake by Juanita’s Cocina
- Boston Cream Pie by Gotta Get Baked
- Coca-Cola Cupcakes by Daily Dish Recipes
- Jello Poke Cake by Flour On My Face
- Bread Pudding with Pecans by Basic and Delicious
- Victoria Sponge Cake by The Lovely Pantry
- Layered Mini Chocolate Banana Cakes by Big Bears Wife
- Raspberry Jam Cakes by Pippis in the Kitchen Again
- Cocktail: Moscow Mule by Crazy by Crazy Foodie Stunts
What fun to read the stories about the recipes! There’s lots of great food in the list. I admit I still make and enjoy many of them. Nice to see some updated versions too. Which one is your favorite?
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET and you do not want to miss out on the fun. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here → Sunday Supper Movement.