Best Tuna Melt Casserole
We love a great tuna melt sandwich, it is a quick and easy dinner. So when I came across this Tuna Melt Casserole in the Good Housekeeping 100 Best One-Dish Meals I had to share it with you. This is the best tuna casserole I have ever had and your family will love this one too! I had to call it the Best Tuna Melt Casserole and I hope you agree. I also love sharing my recipes over at AllFreeCasseroleRecipes, come and check them out.
I looooove when tomatoes are heated like this. The added cheese and pasta along with the tuna is amazing. Tucked underneath is broccoli which is also a win, win with kids and parents. A delicious meal that you will be making again and again for your family.
This is a complete delicious meal that you can have whipped up in no time. A real crowd pleaser that kids and adults will like equally. I grew up on tuna melt sandwiches so this is a nice nostalgic recipe to bring back some good memories.
- 1-16 oz. pkg. large rigatoni
- 4 cups broccoli flowerets
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- Salt and pepper
- 4 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup (4 oz.) Swiss cheese, shredded
- 4 oz. Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3-4 oz. chunk tuna in water, drained and flaked
- 2-3 medium tomatoes, sliced in ¼" slices
- In a large pot, cook pasta in boiling salted water for 5-6 min. or about 5min. away from al dente according to the package. Add the broccoli and cook for the last 5 min. Drain well and return to saucepan.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Grease a 9x13" casserole dish and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over low heat and then add the flour, stirring. Add salt and pepper to taste and cook for 1 min. Whisk in milk and increase heat to medium high. Continuue whisking until mixture starts to boil and thicken. The sauce will be fairly loose still. Remove from heat and stir in ½ cup each of Swiss and cheddar cheese. Stir to melt.
- Add the cheese sauce to the pasta and broccoli along with the tuna. Pour into the prepared dish. Arrange tomato slices on top and cover with remaining cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 20 min. of until hot and bubbly.
Recipe adapted from Good Housekeeping 100 Best One-Dish Meals