It is holiday season and leftover season, so today I give you Leftover Turkey, Sausage Enchilada Casserole. We just had our Thanksgiving up here in Canada last weekend. I know I am not the first to have thought of this recipe but it came to me when I was looking at this Enchilada Casserole recipe in our files. I also had some leftover sausage in the freezer and you may have that too from your stuffing. It made a great combination of flavors and gave us a whole new easy dinner. If you would like to make your own Homemade Enchilada Sauce then try our awesome recipe.
Layers of turkey, sausage, cheese and sauce. I added in a little salsa as one layer. I like the chunky veggies in there too!!
For a dish like this I like to add a little freshness back in with tomatoes, cilantro and sour cream. It is simple and just ups it to a new level. You can also make this a gluten free dish with corn tortillas!!
Use up that turkey in a whole new way. Give it another life and another meal your family will love. This is easy on time and it is great crowd pleaser for young and old!!
- 5-6 10" Cheese Jalapeno Tortillas, sliced into 1 1/2" strips (divided into three portions)
- 2 cups red enchilada sauce
- 1 cup chunky salsa
- 2 cups diced cooked turkey
- 1 1/2 cups sausage or Italian sausage, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 onion, finely diced
- 3-4 cups Mexican cheese blend, shredded (I used a new Creamy Mexican)
- 2 green onions, diced
- Sliced tomatoes
- Sour Cream
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray a 9x13" pan with cooking spray. Lay out enough tortilla strips to cover the bottom of the pan over lapping where needed. Top with the 1 cup of salsa. Place in all of the turkey. Top with 1/2 of the onion. Top with 1 cup of the cheese. Add another layer of tortilla strips to cover. Cover with 1 cup of enchilada sauce. Scatter in the sausage and remaining onion. Top with another 1 cup of cheese. Layer on the last of the tortilla strips. Top with the remaining enchilada sauce and cheese.
- Bake for 30-40 min. until browned and bubbling. Cut into individual squares and garnish each with tomatoes, sour cream and cilantro.