Shrimp in Mustard Sauce
We have Mardi Gras inspired recipes for you on #SundaySupper today!! What a fun theme this one is. There is one recipe that I have made again and again for so many occasions and it is from Cajun-Creole Cooking Cookbook that my girlfriends Karen and Maureen brought back for me from New Orleans many years ago.
This recipe is fantastic and is made the night before so it is perfect to bring along for so many outings!! It is great anytime of the year and it a sure fire crowd pleaser for Mardi Gras.
The sauce is so flavorful with the addition of a tarragon vinegar, red wine vinegar and lots of dried mustard plus just the right heat from the hot red pepper flakes!!
It is really hard for me to find crab boil up here in Canada, something that is readily available in the U.S. and something that I stockpile when I am there. So sometimes I make it without if I am unable to find it.
- ¼ cup tarragon-flavored vinegar
- ¼ cup red-wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup dry mustard
- 2 tsp. hot red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 2 tsp. salt
- ½ vegetable oil
- 6 green onion, chopped
- ¼ cup parsley, minced
- 2½ lbs. uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 (3 oz.) pkg. crab and shrimp boil, if available
- In a large bowl, whisk together the vinegars, black pepper, mustard, pepper flakes and salt. Slowly pour the oil in while whisking. With a spoon stir in parsley and green onions and set aside.
- In a large pot of water add the crab boil if using and bring to a boil for 3-4 min. Add the shrimp and cook 2-3 min. until pink. Drain shrimp, shaking off excess water and immediately toss into the mustard sauce. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Serve with wooden toothpicks or cocktail forks.
Recipe adapted from Cajun-Creole Cooking by Terry Thompson
Rich, cold shrimp all nuzzled together in a spicy mustard sauce, you can’t go wrong with this appetizer!!
The list goes on and on with fabulous dishes to share for Mardi Gras this year!!
Cocktails & Other Beverages:
- The Hurricane Cocktail Recipe from An Appealing Plan
- The French 75 from Kimchi MOM
- Sweet Potato Pie Smoothie from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Fried Oysters and Remoulade from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Shrimp in Mustard Sauce from Noshing With The Nolands
- Mini Sweet Potato Pies from MealDiva
- Cajun Crab Beignets from Delaware Girl Eats
- Pancetta and Mushroom Arancini from Ruffles & Truffles
- Chicken and Sausage Gumbo from Supper for a Steal
- Sausage & Shrimp Jambalaya from Yours And Mind Are Ours
- Vegan Pizza Waffles from Killer Bunnies, Inc.
- Red Beans and Rice from Cookin’ Mimi
- Baked Catfish Po’Boy from Curious Cuisiniere
- Muffaletta from Casa de Crews
- Bayou Seafood and Andouille Jambalaya from The Weekend Gourmet
- Seafood Gumbo from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Cajun Rice & Beans from Momma’s Meals
- Creole Celery Root Bisque (with Lobster) from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Louisiana Roasted Barbecue Shrimp from Food Lust People Love
- Cajun Dirty Rice Bowls from The Dinner-Mom
- Baked Endive and Pears in Blue Cream Sauce from Shockingly Delicious
- Okra Creole from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Banana Creme Pie with Honey Whipped Cream and Pecan Brittle from The Foodie Patootie
- Chocolate Ganache Tart from Melanie Makes
- Banana Bread Pudding from Gotta Get Baked
- Delicious Saffron Baked Beignets from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- New Orleans Bread Pudding with Caramel Whiskey Sauce from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Polish Paczki from Cravings of a Lunatic
- Buttermilk Beignets from The Messy Baker
- Eggless Bread Pudding in a Jar from What Smells So Good?
- Mint Julep Bars from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Mardi Gras Cupcakes w/ Cinnamon Frostingfrom Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Mardi Gras Long Johns from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Mexican Chocolate Coffee Cake from La Cocina de Leslie
- Fasnetküchle from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Cheesecake Swirl Brownies from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Pecan and Chocolate Pralines from Desserts Required
- Chocolate Raspberry Cake from Clarks Condensed
- Baked Coconut Beignets from Mess Makes Food
- Ravioli dolci di Carnevale from Manu’s Menu
- Strawberry Paczki from Neighborfood
- Blackberry Fritters from girlichef
- Brownie Chocolate Chip Cheesecake from Magnolia Days
- Flourless Chocolate Cake in a Mug w/ Coconut Cream from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Pecan Bars from Pies and Plots
- “Skinny Tuesday” Bananas Foster Cheesecake Parfaits from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Mocha Pear Cake from Happy Baking Days
- Skinny Baked Beignets from Daily Dish Recipes