Best Damn Chili Ever for Chili Cook-Off #SundaySupper
We have a Chili Cook-Off today for #SundaySupper. I really wanted to make a winning slow cooker chili recipe today for you, so I started off with a great name, Best Damn Chili Ever for Chili Cook-Off #SundaySupper and then had to come up with a beef chili that was worthy!!
I wanted this chili to have lots of deep layered smokey flavor, so I charred the peppers, added smokey paprika, dried smoked chipotle peppers, roasted tomatoes, and chorizo, all to add that incredible taste. Never mind all of the other 15 ingredients!!
How to Make the Best Damn Chili Ever!
Start by cooking and stirring the beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Remove the beef from the stovetop to a crockpot and in the same pan brown the chorizo and then add it to the beef. You don’t need to drain fat from the pan as you need that for cooking the vegetables.
Heat oil if needed in the same pan and then cook and stir onion along with the garlic. One cooked add it to the beef mixture.
Add in the peppers once prepared accordingly to the slow cooker, followed by the remaining ingredients except for the kidney beans and the corn. I like to add those in the last hour so they aren’t mushy.
Have leftover chili? Make these amazing Chili Cheese Fries! They will be a great family feast with your leftovers!!
How Spicy is this Chili?
This is spicy but not blow your head off spicy, I can’t handle that. You can always adjust the heat with the amount of chipotle pepper you add. Pass the hot sauce if someone wants it spicier or add more fresh jalapenos on top.
I love the chili powder cumin combination in this chili too, it has a great depth of flavor. All the ingredients including the unusual like cinnamon and red wine make this the best damn chili you will ever have. Trust me, try a bowl, you will want to make this again and again.
Thick, meaty, stocked full of vegetables, plus it is so easily done in the slow cooker!! You will love making this chili, ENJOY!!!!
#SundaySupper Chili Cook-Off
Now we have a big line up of chilis here and you need to vote for your favorite!!! Flashing lights, arrow above!!! Best Damn Chili Ever needs your vote!!
The person with the most votes by Thursday Feb. 27th, which coincidentally is National Chili Day will win a ticket to the 2014 Food and Wine Conference in Orlando, Florida + a $25 gift card!!!
Will YOU be a part of the #SundaySupper Chili Cook-Off judges panel this week? Voting is live at the Sunday Supper Movement Online Community Magazine starting now and concluding (fittingly) on February 27 – National Chili Day! Browse the submissions and cast your vote by clicking HERE!
Bison or Beef
- Bison & Black Bean Chili from It’s Yummi!
- Cincinnati Chili from Savvy Eats
- Easy Beef Bean Chili from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Easy Chili con Carne from Manu’s Menu
- Gesundheit Chili from Magnolia Days
- Hellfire Chili from Yours And Mine Are Ours
- Moroccan Harissa Spiked Chili from MarocMama
- Slow Cooker Cheeseburger Chili from Hip Foodie Mom
Chicken, Duck, and Turkey Chili
- Asian Five Spice Duck Chili from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Buffalo Turkey Chili from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Chicken and Bell Pepper Chili from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chicken Meatball Chipotle Chili from Soni’s Food
- Gluten Free Turkey Chili from Gluten Free Crumbley
- Kickin’ Chicken Chili from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Low Calorie Turkey Chili from Basic N Delicious
- Olé Mole Turkey Chili from Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Quick & Easy Chipotle Turkey Chili from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Shockingly Delicious Chili Mole with Red Beans and Raisins from Shockingly Delicious
- Thai Chicken Chili from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
Mixed (meat combo) Chili
- Best Damn Chili Ever from Noshing With The Nolands
- Chili con Tres Carne from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Harlem Meatloaf Chili from Neighborfood
- Leslie’s Best Chili from La Cocina de Leslie
Fish and Seafood Chili
- Scrumptious Seafood Chili from A Kitchen Hoor
- Easy Vegetarian Chili with Raisins and Cashews from Delaware Girl Eats
- New Orleans Style Vegetarian Chili from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Vegan Slow Cooker Chili from Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Chicken Chili Cheese Fries from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chili Cornbread Cupcakes from In The Kitchen With KP
- Spicy Chili Mac from girlichef
Best Wines To Pair with Chili #SundaySupper from ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
- 2 lbs. extra-lean ground beef, browned
- 3 chorizo sausages, cooked and diced
- 2 dried chipotle peppers (small or 1 1/2 large)
- 2 sweet onions, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 each red pepper, yellow and green pepper, diced
- 1-28 oz. can San Marzano tomatoes
- 2-14 oz. cans fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 cup red wine
- 3 Tbsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- Salt to taste
- 1-28 oz. kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1-14 oz. can Adzuki Beans, drained and rinsed (or another bean that is your favorite)
- 1 1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed
- Red and green jalapeno peppers, sliced for garnish
- Cheddar cheese, grated (optional)
- Start by browning the ground beef in a large skillet.
- Meanwhile soak the chipotle peppers in boiling water to rehydrate for 20 min.
- Place the red and yellow peppers under a broiler to char. Once charred place in a bowl and cover with a cloth to steam and cool.
- Once the beef is browned add to a large bowl of a slow cooker. In the same pan brown the chorizo. Once cooked, dice into small pieces and add to the beef.
- Add the onions and garlic now to the pan with a little oil if needed. Saute until translucent and add to the beef mixture.
- Chop the chipotle peppers once rehydrated. Skin and seed the red and orange peppers and dice. Add all the peppers to the beef mixture.
- Add in the green peppers, both kinds of tomatoes, red wine, chili powder, smoked paprika, cumin, cinnamon and salt. Cook on low 6-8 hours. In the last hour add the beans and corn.
- Garnish with the jalapenos and cheese if using.