Strawberry Rhubarb Compote for Mother’s Day #SundaySupper for Mother’s Day!! I was thinking of my mom and how much I miss her when thinking of this Mother’s Day.
She would make me stewed rhubarb when I was little and I so enjoyed it. Also, I remember pulling out a bright red stalk and sitting with a little bowl of sugar and enjoying the sweet-tart treat!!
Aaah, the memories of childhood.
I have made this for Amber before but she was younger. When I made it this time she adored it and has eaten almost all of it with a big helping of yogurt. In addition, this would make a great Mother’s Day brunch item too!!
So pretty on the table in little cups and a perfect springtime treat plus it is easily made ahead. Mom would love the nostalgia of this compote and it can be easily jarred for a take-home gift.
This one is for you Mom, I miss you and wish you a Happy Mother’s Day!!
- 6 large stalks of rhubarb, chopped into 1/2 " pieces
- 1 lb. fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. dried granulated orange peel or orange zest
- Add all the ingredients to a medium saucepan except the strawberries and simmer for 5 min., stirring occasionally.
- Add strawberries and continue to simmer for 7-10 min. or until the compote starts to thicken and the fruit had broken down.
- Let cool and serve with plain yogurt.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 122Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 2mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 1gSugar: 29gProtein: 1g
Recipe calculation was provided by Nutritionix and is estimation only. If you need nutritional calculations for medical reasons, please use a source that you trust.
Mother’s Day Brunch:
- Blueberry Coffee Cake from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Cornbread Pancakes with Blackberries from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Crepes from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Hot N Sweet Mango Chutney from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Lemon Glazed Raspberry Scones from Juanita’s Cocina
- Quiche Lorraine from Supper for a Steal
- Seafood Quiche from The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Strawberry Rhubarb Compote from Noshing with the Nolands
- Sweet French Breakfast Crepes from Curious Cuisiniere
- Vidalia Onion Quiche from Comfy Cuisine
Mother’s Day Entrees:
- Cod with Stewed Tomatoes from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Mother’s Day Sides:
- Spaetzle from Magnolia Days
Mother’s Day Desserts and Drinks:
- Espresso Brownies from What Smells So Good?
- Fresh Blackberry Elderflower Sorbet from Shockingly Delicious
- Fresh Fig and Walnut Pie from Vintage Kitchen
- Gluten Free Coconut Cake with Chocolate Ganache, Berries, and Fresh Whipped Cream from Neighborfood
- Sweet Lemon Meringue Pie from Pies and Plots
- Lemon Petit Fours from Home Cooking Memories
- Lemon Sorbet in Prosecco from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Milky Way Brownies from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Mini Coconut Pies from La Cocina de Leslie
- Mini Strawberry and Cheese Pies from Basic N Delicious
- Mom’s Apple Crisp from Cravings of a Lunatic
- Mom’s Texas Sheetcake from Daily Dish Recipes
- Semolina Balls (Suji Laddoo) from Soni’s Food
- Too-Good-to-Be-Lowfat Chocolate Eclair Icebox Dessert from The Weekend Gourmet
Don’t forget to join the #SundaySupper chat on Twitter today to celebrate Mother’s Day! We’ll tweet throughout the day and share our delicious recipes. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm EST. Follow the
#SundaySupper hashtag, and remember to include it in your tweets to join
in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more delicious recipes and food photos.
Do you have your ticket to the Food and Wine Conference yet? If not, there will be a special $100 discount available tonight only on the full
conference pass if you participate in the #SundaySupper twitter
chat from 7 to 8pm Eastern Time, and purchase your ticket during the
chat. The discount code is: SundaySupper. We hope to see you there!