Cherry Chipotle Wings
Today we have another book review. This one was easy to love as we already have the first edition. They have added more recipes to this edition like these yummy Cherry Chipotle Wings.
It is a cookbook that Ken goes to again and again for either recipes or inspiration for his smoker. Yup, we are talking about our smoker again. More of you really need to invest in this inexpensive and delicious way of cooking food. There are smokers that you have to babysit all day or night long but getting a small electric one is the way to go. So easy!! Nuff said!!
Back to this book. It goes in depth page after page on the art of smoking. A really helpful guide for people that have never done this before. It also delves into the world of competitive BBQ and all that it entails. The best part of the cookbook is, of course, the recipes and we have done many out of the first edition. Today I give you these mouth watering, finger licking, delicious wings. If you have invested in a smoker this cookbook is an absolute must!!
- 5 lbs. chicken wings
- 1½ cups Chipotle Marinade
- 5 Cups Cherry Chipotle Barbecue Sauce
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 canned chipolte peppers in adobo sauce
- ¼ cup sherry vinegar
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ⅔ cup olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1 cup cherry preserves
- ½ cup cherry juice
- ½ cup packed brown sugar (light or dark)
- 3 Tbsp. cider vinegar
- 1½ Tbsp. chipotle pepper sauce
- 1 Tbsp. worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- In a food processor or blender, process garlic, chipolte peppers, reserved adobo sauce, sherry vinegar, balsamic vinegar and salt until smooth. With the motor running, add the oil in a slow, steady stream through the feed tube until all the oil is incorporated. Season to taste with pepper and pulse to blend.
- Rinse wings under cold running water and pat dry. Place in a large sealable bag (or bags) and pour in 1½ cups marinade. Seal bag and toss to coat, refrigerate for 2 hours.
- For the Cherry Chipolte Barbecue Sauce in a medium saucepan, bring ketchup, cherry preserves, cherry juice, brown sugar, vinegar, chipolte pepper sauce, Worchestershire sauce, garlic and onion powder to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes to let flavors blend.
- Remove wings from the marinade, but do not pat dry. Discard marinade. Place wings in a single layer in disposable aluminum pans and set aside.
- Prepare the fire in your smoker. See manufacturer's instructions.
- Place pans on the smoker racks, add wood to the coals and close the lid. Smoke at 225F to 250F for 1 hour. Brush wings with barbecue sauce and close the lid. Smoke for 1 hour or until juices run clear with chicken is pierced.
- Serve wings with remaining sauce on the side.