Leftover Party Tray Vegetable Soup
Do you have a big party tray of veggies left sometimes that you can never eat along with the other leftovers? We usually take another kick at the cat and have a leftover dinner the next night after a party. Sometimes though there are still lots left. So, as I stood and stared at all these perfectly cleaned and prepped veggies I got a great idea for a Leftover Party Tray Vegetable Soup. My family thought it was genius and absolutely loved it.
I kept the soup light but still delicious. It is perfect for anytime of the year, whenever you have leftovers. It is ideal for a summer soup or right through fall to spring!!
The veggies are cleaned and ready to go so nothing can be easier than this to get a fresh soup on the table. I kept this recipe vegetarian also using a delightful blend of spices instead of vegetable boullion that Life Currents has on her site. It is called Instant Vegetarian Broth Mix and I made up extra to store in the pantry to use for other recipes too. The vegetables are simmered until tender in the broth mix and water, giving them lots of flavor.
Creamy and delicious plus so easy to make. This recipe you will want to hang onto for years to come. I love adding in a little hot sauce for added flavor in cream or cheese sauces and soups. It just amplifies the flavors more without really giving off any heat.
Whip up a batch of this soup next time you have a leftover party tray staring you in the eyes. I love giving new life to leftovers in a whole other delicious way. Enjoy!
- 5 cups broccoli and cauliflower florets
- 8-10 baby carrots, sliced
- 5-6 short pieces of celery, sliced
- 5 cups water
- 2 tsp. Instant Vegetarian Broth Mix or vegetable bouillon
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 4 Tbsp. AP flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tsp. hot pepper sauce
- In a large pot add the broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, celery, water and broth mix. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10-12 min. or until the veggies are tender. Do not drain.
- In a medium sauce pan melt the butter and add the flour, salt and pepper. While whisking add in the milk gradually. Bring up to a simmer and cook whisking for two minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the cheese until it melts. Add in the hot sauce. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed. Add to the cauliflower/broccoli mix and stir. Serve immediately.