Mexican Pasta – Day 2 of 5 Days of Pasta. We have made a pasta from Eat, Shrink and Be Merry cookbook many, many times called Smackaroni and Cheese, something that is quick and easy and kids love!!
I wanted to take that recipe and change it up to have a Mexican flair. Still great for a weeknight meal and sticking with our theme of cheesy pasta. This is a lightened up stove top macaroni and cheese. Enjoy!!
- 14 oz. can 2% evaporated milk
- ½ tsp. dry mustard
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 1 cup light cheese whiz
- 4 oz. can green chilies
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lb. cooked chicken, diced
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- ½ diced red pepper
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 2 cups salsa, drained slightly if watery
- 3 cup whole wheat rotini
- ½ cup Tex Mex light grated cheese
- Cilantro for garnish
- Cook pasta according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Meanwhile in a medium saucepan, whisk together the evaporated milk, flour, and mustard until smooth. Heat over medium heat, until it starts to bubble and thicken, whisking constantly. Reduce heat to low and add Cheez Whiz, stirring until melted. Season with pepper. Set aside.
- In a large skillet add the oil and saute the onion, red pepper and garlic. Stir in the salsa and cook for a minute or two. Add the chilies and the chicken and the reserved cheese sauce. Mix well. Add the cooked pasta and heat through. Adjust seasoning.
- Serve in large bowls topped with the Tex Mex cheese and cilantro.
Adapted from Eat, Shrink and Be Merry