Mexican Pasta – Day 2 of 5 Days of Pasta. We have made pasta from Eat, Shrink and Be Merry cookbook many, many times called Smackaroni and Cheese, something that is quick and easy and kids love!!
I wanted to take that recipe and change it up to have a Mexican flair. Still great for a weeknight meal and sticking with our theme of cheesy pasta. This is a lightened up stovetop macaroni and cheese. Enjoy!!
- 14 oz. can 2% evaporated milk
- 1/2 tsp. dry mustard
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 1 cup light cheese whiz
- 4 oz. can green chilies
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lb. cooked chicken, diced
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1/2 diced red pepper
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 2 cups salsa, drained slightly if watery
- 3 cup whole wheat rotini
- 1/2 cup Tex Mex light grated cheese
- Cilantro for garnish
- Cook pasta according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Meanwhile in a medium saucepan, whisk together the evaporated milk, flour, and mustard until smooth.
- Heat over medium heat, until it starts to bubble and thicken, whisking constantly.
- Reduce heat to low and add Cheez Whiz, stirring until melted. Season with pepper. Set aside.
- In a large skillet add the oil and saute the onion, red pepper, and garlic. Stir in the salsa and cook for a minute or two.
- Add the chilies and the chicken and the reserved cheese sauce. Mix well.
- Add the cooked pasta and heat through. Adjust seasoning.
- Serve in large bowls topped with the Tex Mex cheese and cilantro.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 410Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 86mgSodium: 882mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 4gSugar: 10gProtein: 29g
Recipe calculation was provided by Nutritionix and is estimation only. If you need nutritional calculations for medical reasons, please use a source that you trust.
Adapted from Eat, Shrink and Be Merry