Here we are at Sunday again and I am so happy to be part of #SundaySupper with this Old Fashioned Apple Crisp with Caramel Sauce. What a great group of people, so supportive of one another. I love it!! I was excited to see apples as one of the events. One of our favorite fruits, we always have apples in our fruit bowl. Granny Smiths and Galas are our picks!
The apple is a very versatile fruit that can be made into so many different dishes from savory to sweet. I chose an apple crisp that I have made a hundred times. I love this and it is perfect for autumn which is my favorite time of year. From now until New Year’s it is all fun, fun, fun!!
I bumped up the crisp this time with a gorgeously rich and dark caramel sauce and a creamy vanilla ice cream. The perfect dessert to warm your insides when the outdoors are getting cooler. I hope you enjoy this recipe, it has already been shared many times!!
Old Fashioned Apple Crisp with Caramel Sauce for Autumn Apple Party for #SundaySupper
A crisp to warm your heart this Autumn.
- 5 cups tart apples, such as Granny Smith, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup flour
- 3/4 cup rolled oats, quick-cooking
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup half and half cream
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Vanilla Ice Cream
- Preheat the oven to 350F. To make the crisp place the apple slices in a buttered 9-10" pie plate. Mix brown sugar, flour, oats, and cinnamon together. Cut in the butter until crumbly. Lightly press over the apples. Bake for 45-50 min. until lightly browned.
- To make the sauce, melt the butter in a saucepan and stir in the brown sugar until incorporated. Slowly stir in the cream. Bring the sauce up to a boil and let boil for 3 min. stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla. Let cool. Pour into a jar and store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Serve the crisp warm or at room temperature with the warmed caramel sauce and vanilla ice cream.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 551Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 74mgSodium: 219mgCarbohydrates: 75gFiber: 4gSugar: 56gProtein: 4g
Recipe calculation was provided by Nutritionix and is estimation only. If you need nutritional calculations for medical reasons, please use a source that you trust.
Here’s our Autumn Apple Party Menu for Sunday Supper! Stop by our #SundaySupper Contributor’s websites for great apple ideas!
Soups, Salads, Starters, and Bread
- Cinnamon Apple Chips- Shockingly Delicious
- Mini Apple Pumpkin Pancakes – The Daily Dish Recipes
- Overnight Apple Cinnamon French Toast- In the Kitchen with KP
- Curried Apple and Leek Soup-Soni’s Food for Thought
- Endive Spears Topped With Apple, Blue Cheese and Hazelnut Salad- The Hand That Rocks the Ladle
- Homemade Apple Jam – My Trials in the Kitchen
- Caramel Apple Butter Cheesecake Dip- Chocolate Moosey
- Caramel Apple Bread – famfriendsfood
- Apple, Bacon & Brie Popovers- I Run for Wine
- Apple, Leek and Gruyere Tarts- There and Back Again
- Apples & Buttons (Ham, Apples, and Dumplings)- Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chicken Apple Meatloaf with Tarragon Tomato Sauce – Diabetic Foodie
- Baked Tilapia Apple Crisp- Daddy Knows Less
- Pork Tenderloin with Calvados Cream Sauce Sustainable Dad
- #SundaySupper Pulled Pork Sandwich With Pickled Red Onions Kwistin’s Favorites
- Harvest Rice- Webicurean
- Apple Topped Sweet Potato Mash- Momma’s Meals
- Warm Spice Pecan Raisin Apple Chutney- Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Double Apple Pot Pie- What Smells So Good?
- Apple Walnut Coffee Cake- The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Apple Streusel Cobbler- Big Bear’s Wife
- Apple Pear Kuchen for #SundaySupper (Apfel Birnen Kuchen)- Galactosemia in PDX
- Apple Strudel – Magnolia Days
- Old Fashioned Apple Crisp with Caramel Sauce-Noshing with the Nolands
- Caramel Apple Crumble Bars- Hezzi D’s Books and Cooks
- Apple Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting- From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Cinnamon Apple Dessert Chimichangas- Juanita’s Cocina
- Nutella Apple Quesadilla- Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
- Apple Crisp Ice Cream- Cravings of a Lunatic
- Streusel Apple Crumb Pie + Pie Freezer Kits- Meal Planning Magic
- French Apple Cobbler with Cinnamon-Maple Whipped Cream Weekend Gourmet
- Chunky Apple-Apricot Bread Pudding- Comfy Cuisine
- Apple Butter Spice Cake – Home Cooking Memories
- Country Apple Dumplings- Mom’s Test Kitchen
- Apple-Gingersnap Cookies- Tora’s Real Food
- Apple and Cranberry Turnovers- Flour on my Face
- Applesauce Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake with Caramel Glaze- Hip Foodie Mom
- Caramel Frosted Apple Cookies- No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Apple and Pecans Cake- Basic N Delicious
- Apple Pull-Apart Monkey Bread- Gotta Get Baked
- Apple Chia Tea- Pippi’s in the Kitchen Again
Please be sure you join us on Twitter throughout the day during #SundaySupper. We’ll be meeting up at 7:00 pm (Eastern) for our weekly #SundaySupper live chat where we’ll talk about our favorite apple recipes! All you have to do is follow the #SundaySupper hashtag, or you can follow us through TweetChat! We’d also love to feature your apple recipes on our #SundaySupper Pinterest board and share them with all of our followers!
Comments & Reviews
Lyn @LovelyPantry says
I absolutely love apple crisp. I must say, this image has me absolutely wanting to have this NOW. This recipe is a sure keeper. Happy #SundaySupper 🙂
Laura Hunter says
Apples, caramel and vanilla, yep sounds like the perfect dessert to me.
Gala is my favorite apple for eating and Granny Smith for baking. Great minds …
The simple pleasure of a good apple crisp. And then you top it with a caramel sauce – divine!
baker street says
there’s no saying what a bite of an apple crisp at the end of a long day can do! the idea of topping it with caramel sauce just takes this up a notch! 🙂
Paula @ Vintage Kitchen says
Apple crisp is the first recipe my grandmother taught me. It´s such a comforting, easy and incredibly delicious dessert! Lovely Tara. Have a nice sunday!
Dorothy at ShockinglyDelicious says
That caramel sauce looks dangerous!
Crazy Kwistin says
Beautiful!! Man I want some dessert for breaky 🙂 saving this one for sure. I love apples!!!
Jen @ Juanita's Cocina says
Love that you even made your own caramel sauce for this!
A firm family favorite here but never made them with caramel sauce before.Have to try your recipe soon :)looks delish!
Cindys Recipes says
I haven’t made this in years! Thanks for reminding me about it I’m trying your recipe!
Jennie @themessybakerblog says
Mmmm, this is one delicious dessert. A real show stopper. Happy #SS! Pinned.
I’m all over any dessert that has caramel sauce added to it! Worth every decadent calorie!
megan @Irun4wine says
Apple crisps is one of my favorite desserts. I want it now instead of dinner! Is that bad? Thanks for sharing!
You really can’t go wrong with a classic! This looks delightful!
Conni Smith says
Oh goodness, I just want to scoop up that melted ice cream and lick it off my finger! This looks fantastic!
Apples and caramel the perfect combination! Yum! It looks and sounds amazing 🙂
Nicole @ The Daily Dish says
I love apple crisps, this looks fantastic!
Kim Bee says
Completely, positively love this. Nothing quite like a great apple crisp.
Chris Baccus says
So classic and so delicious. Love your photo of the end result.
Faye Leong says
Oh my….this recipe is so tempting…….how can I resist when warmed caramel sauce meet with vanilla ice cream?! Yum….
Anne @ Webicurean says
I haven’t had apple crisp in years! Looks like I need to correct that and soon!
Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts says
Caramel sauce with apples – yes!! Apple crisp is one of my favorite fall desserts, but I almost never get to have it 🙁
Jaime @ Mom's Test Kitchen says
That caramel sauce sounds amazing! I love that addition to the tradional apple crisp!! Can’t wait to try this recipe out!
That looks like the most heavenly dessert! Great dish and great photo!
Crisp on a whole other level! Delicious!
Apple crisp with vanilla ice cream is one of my favorite desserts. But adding caramel sauce pushes it to the very top of my list…beautifully done!!!
Lovely ! I could have some now !!!!!
Oh my word! I want to lick my screen. I love apple crisp and now this one has caramel sauce on it? WOW!
Nancy @ gottagetbaked says
Oooooh…I’m literally drooling. The thought of the rich caramel sauce mingled with the sweet, soft apples, the crispy crumble topping and the cold creamy ice cream is making my stomach growl (and I just finished eating dinner!).
Arlene @FlourOnMyFace says
I haven’t had an apple crisp in years. I can just imagine how good it tastes with caramel and vanilla ice cream.
I would love to make this recipe on a hot cast iron skillet if I had one. Doesn’t that sound amazing? But since I don’t have one, I’ll just try your recipe. It looks divine. And I don’t use that word often.
Noshing with the Nolands says
Thanks to everyone that has come by to leave a comment. WOW, there are lots here!! So glad you liked the apple crisp!!!
Brandie (@ Home Cooking Memories) says
I love the pairing of apples with caramel…especially when vanilla ice cream is involved. Looks delicious!
I want some please!!!!!
Thanks so much for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream To Reality!
Can never go wrong with a classical dessert and pairing of apples and caramel!
Angie @ Big Bear's Wife says
Perfect Apple Crisp
Beautiful photos! Apples and caramels are the best combination!
Made this yumminess tonight! My kids helped me make it, and we all enjoyed eating it. Delish!
Noshing with the Nolands says
We have all loved that for years. I am so glad you made it. Thanks for taking the time to comment. I so appreciate it!!
Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers says
Yum! I love apple crisp and this is mouth watering! Perfect for mouth watering Mondays!
Noshing with the Nolands says
Thanks so much Jennifer. I love a good crisp anytime!!