Open-Faced Tuna Melt Sandwich
Do you love a quick and easy dinner? We sure do around here!! This is one of our favorites and has been mine since I was a kid! Open-Faced Tuna Melt Sandwich is super easy to pull together, nutritious and most of all delicious!! Kids will love this easy-to-fix dinner too!
Sometimes I have just had the tuna with melted cheese over top but the addition of the tomato and avocado make it more of a meal to me. I like to grab the knife and fork and really dig in!!
Not only does the tomato and avocado add flavor but also color. The final little sprinkle of paprika and a pinch of dill add some also. These are really simple additions that add just the perfect touch to make it into something special.
I always like to add in some celery and green onions or chives to the tuna for extra crunch and flavor. When making your tuna don’t over mix it and try to keep it in larger flakes it is much more appealing that way. To reduce the fat content you can use a fat-free mayo or omit it altogether. Also, a reduced-fat cheddar cheese works here too.
This can be an easy dinner or an easy lunch too! Everyone will be thrilled with this meal and it is a nice way to add more fish into your diet too. All of the elements balance each other so nicely. The whole wheat bread is first toasted and buttered and then the tuna, tomatoes, and cheese are added. We use our toaster oven to melt the cheese and then add the yummy avocados.
- 5 oz. can of tuna, packed in water and drained
- 1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 celery stalk, chopped into small dice
- 2 green onions or small handful chives, diced
- Freshly ground pepper
- 3-4 slices whole-wheat or grainy bread
- Tomatoes, sliced
- Cheddar cheese, sliced
- Sliced avocado
- Paprika, optional
- Dill, optional
- Mix the tuna gently with the mayo, celery and green onion. Season with freshly ground pepper.
- Toast bread and butter.
- Divide the tuna onto the 3 or 4 slices of toast and top with sliced tomatoes and cheddar cheese. Broil until the cheese melts.
- Top with sliced avocado, paprika and dill. Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 832Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 19mgSodium: 238mgCarbohydrates: 142gFiber: 28gSugar: 3gProtein: 40g
Recipe calculation was provided by Nutritionix and is estimation only. If you need nutritional calculations for medical reasons, please use a source that you trust.