Ahi Tuna Salad
This is the 2nd Day of 5 Days of Dinner Salads with this Ahi Tuna Salad, I also something very special to bring to you all. I was asked by fellow blogger Kim to join her in this special post. I lost my dad to heart disease many years ago, so this is also personal for me. Dad loved good food and I cooked for him often even from a young age. He would have loved this one, as he had a great appreciation for Japan. This is for you Dad, I miss you!!!
Today we are joining together to help raise awareness for Heart Disease. Kim of Cravings of a Lunatic lost her Mom to heart disease when her mother was 47, and Kim was 15. Each year on the day her Mom passed she shares stories and photos of her Mom. This year she joined forces with Jen of Juanita’s Cocina, whose life was also touched by heart disease when her Stepfather had a heart attack. Jen’s Stepfather is alive and well more than a decade later, and for that, Jen is thankful every day. The ladies got in touch with other bloggers to ask them to share their own stories about how heart disease has touched their lives. So today we share stories and recipes from our hearts to yours, in memory and honour of Momzie, Kim’s Mom. We hope you will share your stories with us today as well.
Sesame and Grape Seed oils are very heart healthy. Check out the benefits in the links I offered. We love to eat a lot of different foods in this house. We do have well rounded meals with lots of fruits and fresh vegetables always included.The little crunchy noodles are not the healthiest but you only have to have a small amount of them to have a big impact. Everything in moderation. One small Ahi tuna steak feeds three people so it doesn’t have to be really expensive either. All of these wonderful ingredients make up this heart healthy meal that you can have done in not time and the dressing is delicious!!
- ½ medium sweet onion, chopped
- ¼ cup grapeseed oil
- ⅛ cup good quality olive oil plus 1 Tbsp. for cooking
- 1 tsp. powdered ginger
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp. rice wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. Umani paste
- 1 Tbsp. low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp. powdered wasabi
- 1 Small head of romaine lettuce, washed and torn
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 6 large mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- ¼ red onion, sliced
- 12 snap peas, cut in half
- 1 medium ahi tuna steak
- black sesame seeds
- sesame seeds
- Salt and pepper
- Chow Mein Noodles
- In a blender add all the dressing ingredients and whirl until smooth. Set aside.
- Assemble salad using the romaine, red pepper, mushrooms, bean sprouts, red onion and snap peas onto three plates.
- Cut ahi tuna steak into 1½" wide logs. Mix sesame seeds together. Salt and pepper and roll in sesame seeds. Heat olive oil in a cast iron pan and cook tuna for 1 min. per side or until desired doneness. Tuna should be on the rare side.
- Slice into small pieces and arrange on salad. Drizzle with dressing and garnish with chow mein noodles.