It is Thanksgiving weekend up here in Canada but I have not done a #SundaySupper for awhile. I adore our slow cooker and use it all year round but more so in the fall and winter. Today I have for you Slow Cooker Tomato Basil Soup. If you are followers of Noshing With The Nolands you will know we love our soup. Put a bowl of homemade soup in front of our daughter and she will gobble it down always asking for more. For the most part soups are very healthy. This soup is full of vegetables but it does have some cream in it. You can always substitute milk, homo or 2% would work great too!
We had an amazing crop of tomatoes this year so I used 4 cups of fresh but you can just add one more can of tomatoes if you don’t have fresh. I am in love with the San Marzano tomatoes right now that are packed in a tomato puree. Besides my own canned tomatoes they are my favorite.
Rich, creamy, full of veggies and flavor. I love a great tomato soup. Add a grilled cheese to this and I am in heaven!!
Slow Cooker Tomato Basil Soup
- 2-28oz. cans San Marzano tomatoes
- 4 cups fresh tomatoes, diced
- 3 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 medium sweet onions, chopped
- 4 whole cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. sea salt, more if desired
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 900 ml. or 1 quart of vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- 1 1/2 cups half and half cream
- Freshly grated Parmesan (optional)
- Place all the ingredients except for the cream and Parmesan into a slow cooker. Cook on low for 5-7 hours. The veggies should be soft enough to puree at this point.
- Using an immersion blender or upright blender puree the soup. Add the cream and adjust seasoning. Heat to serve. If desired add a sprinkle of fresh grated Parmesan.
Here is the line up of wonderful ideas to fill your crockpot.
- Crock Pot Turkey Meatball Soup from Flour On My Face
- Slow Cooker Chicken, Spinach and White Bean Soup from Amee’s Savory Dish
- Slow Cooker Tomato Basil Soup from Noshing With The Nolands
- Spicy Ham and 10-Bean Soup from Food Lust People Love
- Crockpot Caramelized Pork Noodle Soup from Brunch with Joy
- Slow Cooker Acorn Squash and Apple Soup from Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Potato, Kielbasa and Spinach Soup With Gouda from Meal Planning Magic
- Slow Cooker Chunky Chicken Tortilla Soup #GlutenFree from Sue’ s Nutrition Buzz
Scrumptious Mains (Breakfast and Dinner)
- Slow Cooked Apple Pie Oatmeal from Life Tastes Good
- Pork and Cabbage Stew from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Slow Cooker Lime Garlic Chicken from Peaceful Cooking
- Slow-Cooked Country Pork and Veggies from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Slow Cooker Mongolian Beef from Marlene Baird
- Madras Beef Curry with Vegetables from Curious Cuisiniere
- Crock Pot Pork Chops with Apples and Figs from Cooking On The Ranch
- Slow Cooker Shredded Beef Tacos from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Crockpot Sesame Chicken from Casa de Crews
- Slow Cooker Tomato Basil Pulled Chicken from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Slow Cooker Garlic Chicken with Artichokes from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Slow Cooker Brownie Dessert from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Triple Chocolate Cake from MealDIva
- Slow Cooker Rice Pudding from Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Slow-Cooker Kheer (Indian Rice Pudding) from Magnolia Days
- Slow Cooker Sourdough from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Slowcooker Seedy Bread from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
Sips and Spreads
- Spiced Caramel Cider from The Life and Loves of Grumpy’s Honeybunch
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat.
To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.