I am co-hosting today with the lovely Stacy from Food Lust People Love. I can’t take any credit for the great theme we have for you today, On The Hunt. This was entirely Stacy ‘s idea and I just happily tagged along. I brought for you today a Maple Bison Blueberry Burger and I thought it married perfectly into the theme. The theme could be anything that you “hunt or forage” for. It does not necessarily mean wild game but it can include meat like venison, boar and rabbit. Vegetarian options are okay too like mushrooms, truffles, wild berries or even edible wildflowers and greens. It can also be a special ingredient that you have to “hunt” down at a specialty market in your area or something that you find travelling on vacation. It may be something that you pay a bit more for but you want it, you go that extra mile for it, because you love it.
I had this burger in mind right away, I have been wanting to make this for a long time now. It was one that I had for lunch out in Cochrane a few years ago and it was delicious!! An amazing flavor combination. The blueberry and maple flavored burger with the chipotle mayonnaise is a flavor profile like no other.
Bison is something we still have to “hunt” for up in Canada and you pay a pretty price for it too. Of course it was something that was hunted for many years ago to and was vital to the fur trade. I found some at our local farmer’s market and stored it away for this exact purpose. Blueberries are something that you can forage for. We had some stowed away in the freezer from the summer when they were at their peak. Pure maple syrup is something that is sold in specialty stores (along with grocery stores) or something that you may pick up on your travels in locales where it is harvested. I would say this a a great Canadian burger with a bit of a twist with the spicy chipotle mayo and brie cheese.
Adding the slowly caramelized shallots makes this burger even more special. Sweet, savory, cheesy, meaty and fantastic is what this burger is all about!!
I have a little confession to make. I love a rare steak or medium rare steak but I can’t do that with a burger. I tried cooking it that way and just couldn’t bring myself to go through with it. I think it is a Canadian thing. Never are we asked how you would like your burger cooked in Canada. It is always well done. I personally have never been asked here but have been in the US which we find different and I have always ordered it well done. The maple syrup and blueberries left this burger juicy and far from dry. It was quickly cooked and had a lovely char on the outside. If you would like yours rarer, I say go for it!! Always cook to your preference!! ENJOY!!
- 1 lb. ground bison
- 1 egg beaten
- ¼ cup bread crumbs
- ⅓ cup frozen or fresh blueberries
- ⅛ cup maple syrup
- Garlic salt and pepper
- 1 Tbsp. of butter
- 3 shallots, sliced
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- Salt and pepper
- Sliced brie cheese
- 4 hamburg buns
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp. adobo sauce from chipotles
- Mix the burger ingredients together except the butter and make into four patties. Heat the butter in a large cast iron pan over medium heat and cook burgers turning once until desired doneness.
- Meanwhile mix the mayonnaise and adobo sauce together and set aside.
- Saute shallots with the additional Tbsp. of butter. Salt and pepper to taste. Continue cooking until transulcent and slightly caramelized 10 min.
- Slice the brie and top each burger with 2-3 slices. Broil until starting to melt. Spread some of the chilpotle mayonnaise on the bottom of each burger bun. Place on the burger and top with the shallots. Serve immediately.
Look at all the wonderful recipes that we have for you today for On The Hunt, enjoy!!
Spread it on Thick
- Homemade Mascarpone from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Sugar Plum Fairy Jam from What Smells So Good?
- Porcini Compound Butter from Nosh My Way
Nibbles and Sides
- Baked Rice with Mushrooms from Basic N Delicious
- Foie Gras Bites from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Miso Risotto from Crazy Foodie Stunts
The Main Event
- Bourbon Butter Venison Bites from The Life and Loves of Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Fennel Frond Pappardelle with Rabbit, Muscat, and Cream from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Korean-style Tripe from kimchi MOM
- Lapin au Cidre – Cider Braised Rabbit from Food Lust People Love
- Maple Bison Blueberry Burgers from Noshing With The Nolands
- Rabbit Braised with Kalamata Olives and Prunes from The Texan New Yorker
- Spicy Sausage Pasta Skillet from Nik Snacks
- Wild Venison Sausage Gravy from A Mama, Baby & Shar-pei in the Kitchen
- Turkey, Wild Rice and Mushroom Casserole from Recipes, Food and Cooking
- Wild Boar Pacific Rim Sliders from Peaceful Cooking
- Blueberry Ice Cream with Chocolate Sauce from From the Bookshelf
- German Fruit and Nut Bars from Magnolia Days
- Grilled Bananas/Toast Topped with Chocolate and Cheese from Brunch with Joy
- Lemon Blueberry Scones from Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Raspberry Muffins from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Pumpkin Spice Puppy Chow from Pies and Plots
- Ultimate Chewy Brownies from The Perfect Brownie
- Vanilla Poached Tamarillos from Manu’s Menu
- Wild Blackberry Scones with Lemon Glaze from The Foodie Army Wife
- Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Topped Waffles from NinjaBaker.com
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on Twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7 p.m. ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.