Need a fun birthday cake that is super easy to make? I have for you Rainbow Birthday Poke Cake that young and old would love to have!! This post originally appeared on Real Housemoms as a Christmas Rainbow Poke Cake but this is something you can make all year long!
So what is a poke cake? It is a regular boxed cake mix that has been baked, cooled, and then poked and other wonderful additions seep down into the cake, in this case, it is colorful jello! Also, try our Ferrero Rocher Chocolate Poke Cake too!
To add the “pokes”, you can use a large two-prong fork or a dowel or the end of a small wooden spoon like I did. Then a filling is added to the holes. The top is a whipped topping which sure is easy and then decorated with your favorite sprinkles. Poke cake recipes can’t be beaten like this Great Canadian Poke Cake or my Best Reese’s Peanut Butter Chocolate Cake. Or check out these desserts over at RecipeLion where they have included this cake!
This cake would also make a very fun Easter dessert, so colorful and spring-like. It just chases the blues away from any day! I kept the recipe very easy and approachable by using all store-bought products, which will make this a very easy cake to start with. It is fun for the whole family to get in on! Mom would love this for Mother’s Day too!
By baking this cake in a 9×13″, it serves a bunch of people for any big gathering. The kids will be jumping for joy with a big piece of this cake. It stays so nice and moist with the added jello and is ready when you are and waiting in the fridge.
- 1 pkg. white cake mix + ingredients to prepare
- 1 pkg. (3 oz.) lime jello
- 1 pkg. (3 oz.) blue raspberry jello
- 1 pkg. (3 oz.) cherry jello
- 3 cups boiling water
- 8 oz. container of whipped topping (or 3 cups homemade whipped cream, sweetened)
- Make cake mix according to package and using a 9-inch x 13-inch pan sprayed with cooking spray. Bake as directed.
- Let cake completely cool. Poke in rows using a small wooden spoon, dowel or two pronged fork at 1/2-1" intervals. I found the cake stuck to the wooden spoon so you have to clean it regularly of cake or your holes would get too large.
- Pour one cup of boiling water into each of the jello and stir to dissolve. Pour each row with a different colored jello using a spouted measuring cup. I didn't use all the jello. Refrigerate for 3-4 hours. Top with whipped topping and sprinkles and refrigerate again for a few hours. Serve chilled.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 20 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 63Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 32mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 0gSugar: 7gProtein: 1g