Brazilian Chicken Salad, known as Salpicao de Frango in Brazil, is a popular classic recipe that can be served in various ways. Before diving in, this shredded chicken and potato sticks salad is originally a friend’s recipe. Let’s learn more!
Subscribe To Our Weekly Newsletter
Lisa is a friend that Ken has had since grade 7. Lisa went on to become an international supermodel and has appeared on the front of Vogue and many other renowned magazines. She has traveled the world over and lived in Rio De Janeiro for many years.
Here is a photo of Lisa and what she has to say about this fabulous salad that I will be making again and again. I now give you Lisa Kauffmann.
What Goes into Brazilian Chicken Salad?
It is a traditional chicken salad from Brazil. It is a great summer food and comes in handy when you are a bit pressed for time (also a good way of using a store-bought BBQ chicken) and want to make something great for a summer potluck.
To make your own tasty and crunchy Brazilian Chicken salad, here is all you need. Plumping raisins in water brings them to a new level giving them a slightly juicy texture as opposed to being dried out. I do this a lot with raisins.
Buy your carrots already shredded. It is a time saver for sure.
Don’t skimp on the shoestring potato chips; that is what makes this salad so special!!
- 4 chicken breasts, cooked with chipotle mango seasoning or Montreal chicken spice or store-bought cooked packaged chicken (400 grams) or store-bought whole BBQ chicken
- Shredded carrots, loosely packed – 4 cups
- Diced Granny Smith apples – 2 to 3 pieces
- Celery stalks, thinly sliced – 4 to 5 pieces
- Raisins plumped in hot water – 1 cup
- Corn niblets – 1 cup
- Onion finely diced, sweet or red – 3/4 cup
- Salt and pepper – as per your taste and liking
- Shoestring potato chips for topping
- Olive oil
- Lemon juice
- Peas (optional)
How to Make Brazilian Chicken Salad
To make this salad ahead of time, prepare all of the ingredients separately and put them in different containers. Next, transport and combine them all into a large bowl or serving dish when ready to serve. You can put some lemon juice on the apples to keep them from browning.
Some of these recipes commonly ask for mayonnaise, but I am not always a fan of mayo in the summer. So that is why I prefer olive oil as a substitute (also, it is a healthier option).
Some people add green peas as well, but in Brazil, they are from a can, so they don’t have the same taste as fresh or frozen. That is why I don’t put them in. They can be optional, and it’s up to you if you want to add peas.
For it to be a true Brazilian salad, it needs the string potatoes on top. The crispy string potatoes are what escalates the taste to the next level of yum. It is crunchy, and note that you don’t mix the potato strings with the salad. Instead, you add them to the top for the enhanced flavor.
You can serve the Brazilian Chicken Salad on a white plate with a serving spoon beside the plate. Simple and elegant.
Follow this quick and easy recipe to make the most flavorful Brazilian Chicken salad ever.
Finishing off the Salad
This salad is easy to pull together, with only a few simple steps.
- Shred or dice chicken into small even sizes of pieces.
- Toss all ingredients together and combine well when ready to serve.
- Drizzle with a small amount of olive oil, a dash of lemon juice, salt, and pepper to taste depending on your taste and liking.
- Top with shoestring potatoes and you are done.
What to Have With Brazilian Chicken Salad
Brazilian Chicken Salad is a perfect dish to enjoy as a standalone. But to spice things up, you can serve it alongside other dishes. Before going there, did you know this delicious quick and easy Salpicao Brazilian salad is great for picnics, potlucks, and barbecues? This shredded chicken breast salad can also be used for family reunions and gatherings.
The chicken salad is ideal as a side dish. Lemon or lime juice adds a tangy and citrus tinge to the salad and also brightens it all up! You can also have it with bread, that is the Brazilian Chicken sandwich for you. The salad goes well with making it into lettuce wraps too. You can also enjoy it with rice, vegetables, and meat. Think of this with all your favorite BBQ!! Truly one of the best summer-style recipes.
We have updated this photo and post. Here is our old photo.
Pin it HERE!!
Pin it HERE!!
- 4 chicken breasts, cooked with chipotle mango seasoning or Montreal chicken spice or store-bought cooked packaged chicken (400gms) or store-bought whole BBQ chicken
- 4 cups shredded carrots, loosely packed
- 2-3 diced Granny Smith apples
- 4-5 celery stalks, thinly sliced
- 1 cup raisins, plumped in hot water
- 1 cup corn niblets
- 3/4 cup onion finely diced, sweet or red
- Olive oil
- Lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- Shoestring potato chips
- Shred or dice chicken.
- Combine all ingredients when ready to serve.
- Drizzle with a small amount of olive oil, a dash of lemon juice, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Top with shoestring potatoes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 418Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 76mgSodium: 332mgCarbohydrates: 57gFiber: 7gSugar: 36gProtein: 31g
Recipe calculation was provided by Nutritionix and is an estimation only. If you need nutritional calculations for medical reasons, please use a source that you trust.