Blueberries are in season and I got a really inexpensive huge container and brought it home to the “Pie Guy”. I left this in Ken’s trusted hands to make a gorgeous Blueberry Pie. He makes such a great pie!! The inside was perfect., not runny at all. The outside is the best crust ever, flaky and gorgeous. You are all very lucky to be getting in on this one. Enjoy!!
- 1 lb. lard
- 2 Tbsp. vinegar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of water
- 4-5 cups flour
- 6 cups blueberries
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 1/2 tsp. grated lemon rind
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. water
- Sugar for topping
- In a small bowl add egg and stir with a fork. Stir in vinegar and then water. In a separate bowl add the lard and 4 cups flour. Cut the lard into small pieces using a pastry cutter. Add the liquid and continue to cut the lard into the mixture adding more flour as needed. Do not over work. Stop when the dough comes together into a sticky ball. Divide into half and wrap in cello. Place in refrigerator for 30 min. to 1 hour. If only making one pie put the other half into the freezer for later use. Thaw in the refrigerator when you want to use it later.
- Meanwhile in a large bowl combine blueberries with sugar, cornstarch, lemon rind, lemon juice and cinnamon. Set aside. Preheat oven to 425F.
- When dough has rested remove from the refrigerator and roll out on a floured surface. Roll out half the pastry to fit in a 11" inch pie plate. Place in the pie plate and trim the edges. Place in the pie filling. Roll out the remaining dough and cut long strips the size of the pie for the lattice. Weave the lattice top and seal the edges with a little dab of water. Whisk the egg and 1 tsp. water together. Lightly brush the lattice top with the egg mixture and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 min. Then reduce heat to 350F and continue baking until golden and the filling has thickened for 45-50 min. Cool completely on a rack.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 1821Total Fat: 61gSaturated Fat: 23gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 34gCholesterol: 100mgSodium: 27mgCarbohydrates: 278gFiber: 11gSugar: 31gProtein: 35g
Recipe calculation was provided by Nutritionix and is estimation only. If you need nutritional calculations for medical reasons, please use a source that you trust