By overwhelming demand I bring you 5 Days of Soup. I asked on Facebook what you would like to see, 5 days of Soups, Salads, Meatballs or Pasta and by a landslide you picked soup. Well it is that time of year!!! Perfect for a big bowl of steaming soup. I came up with 5+ wonderful soups and will share them with you over the next two weeks. They will be interrupted by our usual Mouth Watering Mondays and BundtAMonth but I will be sharing them all with you.
I came up with what I think are very unique soups, not your usual here but every single one is fabulous. Some decadent, some healthy, some low in fat but I guarantee all delicious. My family loves soups and when I wrote out a list of what I wanted to make we couldn’t slim it down to only five. So some of them will carry over into the second week.
Soups are easy once you master the basis of them. Start with a little fat, then onion, garlic maybe a carrot or celery thrown in. Then the a veggie to shine through and flavoring like herbs and spices, maybe a protein like meat or beans, then broth, cream or tomatoes and voila you have a soup. They can then be pureed or not. Additions like croutons, crostinis, a dollop of sour cream or cheese always add something too but the wonderful thing about soups is that the list is endless. Your mind is your only limitation. Leftovers work great or what you have hanging around in your pantry. Go wild, experiment, you might even surprise yourself. All for the love of soup!!
Today I bring you a wonderful creation of a slightly spicy, soul warming Chorizo and Roasted Red Pepper Soup. Enjoy!!
- 3 red pepper, seeded and halved
- 2 red jalapenos, seeded and halved
- 4 links or Chorizo
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- pinch or crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 19 oz. can diced tomatoes with celery and onion
- 1½ cups chicken stock
- Sour cream for garnish
- Place the peppers on a rimmed cookie sheet and broil until the skin is blackened. Place the peppers in a Ziploc bag to steam. When cooled remove the blackened skin and dice the red pepper and mince the jalapenos. Set aside.
- Remove the Chorizo meat from the casings and saute in a large pot over medium heat until browned. Remove the meat onto a paper towel lined plate. Drain any fat.
- In the same pot over medium heat add the Tbsp. of olive oil and saute the onion until translucent. Add the garlic, paprika, smoked paprika, crushed red pepper, salt and pepper. Saute for 1-2 min. Reserve ¼ of the red pepper and add the rest with the jalapenos. Add the chicken stock and canned tomatoes. Cook simmering for 15 min.
- With a hand held immersion blender or standup blender, blend until smooth. Add the reserved Chorizo and peppers, heat through and serve with a dollop of sour cream.