I got this recipe from a news paper clipping eons ago. We have made this umpteen times for a #WeekdaySupper. It is our go to vegetarian meal and we all love it. Chili/Cumin flavored lentils that are just slightly sweetened up with molasses. A wonderful recipe that you will go to again and again.
We are huge lovers of lentils here. I adore them in soups and stews but this recipe is unique as they are served on their own. We always have this with a huge salad. Hubby never complains “where is the meat?” with this recipe. It is completely satisfying!! A nutritious and delicious meal. I love when those two meet!! Enjoy!!
- 2¼ cups water
- 1 cup lentils
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup green onions, chopped including green tops
- ½ cup chopped sweet green pepper
- 1¼ tsp. ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1-227 ml. can tomato sauce
- 1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. molasses
- Rinse and check over lentils for foreign pieces. In a small saucepan bring lentils to a boil with the water. Reduce to low covered and simmer 25-30 min. or until tender but not mushy. Do not overcook!
- Meanwhile cook in a large non-stick skillet, heat the oil, add the garlic, green onions, green pepper, cumin and chili powder. Saute the ingredients until the veggies are tender crisp.
- Stir in the tomato sauce, vinegar and molasses, stir and simmer for 1 min.
- When lentils are cooked add the vegetable mixture and heat through. Serve immediately.
Here are the other lovely recipes that will help you plan a quick and easy meal for #WeekdaySupper!!!
Monday – The Hand That Rocks The Ladle – Linguine with Clam Sauce
Tuesday – Cookin’ Mimi – Barbecue Jack Chicken
Wednesday – Noshing With The Nolands – Lentils Ole
Thursday - Basic N Delicious – Spaghetti with Mushroom Sauce
Friday - Granny’s Down Home Sassy Southern Cooking – Sassy Sausage Jambalaya