Cornmeal Griddle Cakes #BreadBakers
We are with #BreadBakers today with our Cornmeal Griddle Cakes. These are fun to make and it was Ken’s assignment as it usually is with this group. He is the bread baker, pancake maker in this house. I leave it to him as he is very good at it!! I would like to thank Anshie from Spice Roots for hosting this wonderful event!! I love the theme of griddle cakes!
These griddle cakes are lush, rich and scrumptious. They have the added goodness from cheddar cheese and green onions. They make a great southern side dish to go with so many dishes. They sop up gravy or sauce and can be topped with many delicious meats like pulled pork, BBQ chicken or crispy bits of fish or brisket. Another name for these is hoe cakes.
They should be cooked in hot oil but we also added a bit of butter for flavor. They are crispy on the outside and soft and tender on the inside.
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- 1½ tsp. salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2½ cups milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 3 green onions, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. butter, melted
- Oil for frying
- Butter for frying
- Whisk dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Whisk egg and milk together and add to the dry ingredients. Whisk in the melted butter. Fry in oil and butter until golden brown on each side. Serve hot.
Come and check out all the amazing griddle breads we have for you today, all sound completely amazing!!
- Amaranth (Rajgira) Paratha from Herbivore Cucina
- Cheese and Potato Gözleme from Cook’s Hideout
- Corn Pancakes from Magnolia Days
- Cornmeal Griddle Cakes from Noshing With The Nolands
- English Muffins from La cocina de Aisha
- Fruity Hemp Seed Pancakes from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Griddle Scones from Hostess At Heart
- Homemade Corn Tortillas from Kylee Cooks
- Lachha Paratha – Indian Layered Flatbread from Sara’s Tasty Buds
- Masala Poli – Spicy Potato Masala Stuffed Poli from I Camp in my Kitchen
- Masala Roti from Sneha’s Recipe
- Paneer Kulchas – Griddle Fried Cottage Cheese Flatbread from Sizzling Tastebuds
- Paruppu Poorana Poli from Gayathri’s Cook Spot
- Peanut Butter and Apple Griddle Cakes from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Phool Makhana Parathas (Puffed Lotus Seeds Parathas) from Seduce Your Tastebuds
- Saffron Unleavened Bread from Kidsandchic
- Satpadi – Spiced Griddle Bread from Spiceroots
- Scallion Pancakes from A Shaggy Dough Story
- Sourdough English Muffins from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Spicy Loli – Breakfast Flatbread from Food Lust People Love
- Spinach and Feta Gözleme from Spill the Spices
- Stacked Apple Arepas from The Schizo Chef
- Staffordshire Oatcakes with a Bacon & Cheese Filling from Ruchik Randhap
- Stove-Top Muffins (Diphaphata) from Wholistic Woman
- Swedish Polar Bread from G’Gina’s Kitchenette
- Vitumbua (Coconut Rice Pancake Balls) from Mayuri’s Jikoni
- Welsh Cakes from Passion Kneaded
- Yeast Raised Chocolate Chocolate Chip Pancakes from Pastry Chef Online
#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. Follow our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on this home page.
We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient.
If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send Stacy an email with your blog URL to firstname.lastname@example.org.