Cherry Pistachio Ice Box Cookies
Today we are doing special Make Ahead cookie recipes for the holidays with Creative Cookie Exchange. Wonderful cookie recipes that you can stow in your freezer and then bring out when company arrive and you have fresh baked cookies at hand. Easy right? You betcha!!
The cookie that I choose I have made for countless years, actually it is by Epicurious from 2006. Originally made with cranberries and I have done that also but have changed it over the years to cherries. It has the traditional colors of Christmas, red and green and a wonderful sugared edge to make it even more festive. I also like that this cookie is squared off, it adds another shape to your festive cookie platter.
Wrapped up in plastic wrap and foil and placed in the freezer so that it is ready when you are for fresh baked cookies!! The original recipe has you place the dough in the fridge for at least 2 hours but I put it right into the freezer.
The finished product is a delicious cookie with pistachios, red cherries and a hint of orange, bringing you all the flavors and colors for the holidays. I love making this cookie and I hope you do too!! ENJOY!!
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp. finely grated orange zest
- 1/2 cup shelled natural pistachios
- 1/3 cup candy cherries
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup sugar sprinkles
- Whisk together flour, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
- Beat together butter, sugar and zest in a bowl of a stand up mixer with a paddle attachment. Mix until fluffy about 3 min. Gradually add in flour mixture on low in 3 separate batches. Mix until well incorporated and then add in the pistachios and cherries. Gather up the dough and divide into two separate mounds on plastic wrap. Using the plastic wrap shape into log about 1 1/2" in diameter. Now shape the log into a square shape by rolling onto a side and pressing slightly.
- Wrap the logs in foil and freeze until ready to use. Thaw slightly and paint with the egg, roll in sprinkles and slice into 1/4" thick slices, rotating the log so that it stays square. Place slices on parchment lined cookie sheets and bake at 350F for 15 min. or until golden brown.
- Let cool on cooling racks.
- Recipe adapted from Epicurios.
To join in the fun, just complete the steps below:
1. Write a blog post with recipe and original photo. The theme this month is make ahead freezer cookies for the holidays. The post should describe how to freeze the dough and also how to bake the dough when you are ready. We would like the recipe to be one you’re making for the first time, and photos must be original.
2. Post the Cookie Exchange badge somewhere on your blog so others can join in the fun:
Badge Code: should work for all types of web sites, blogger, self-hosted and free…
3. Make a good faith effort to visit and comment on the other cookies in the Linky party. We all love cookies so that should be easy!
4. LIKE the Creative Cookie Exchange Facebook Page
5. FOLLOW the Creative Cookie Exchange Pinterest Board:
6. LINK your blog post below using the Linky tool
You can also just use us as a great resource for cookie recipes–be sure to check out our Facebook page, our Pinterest Board, and our monthly posts. You will be able to find them the first Tuesday after the 15th of each month! Also, if you are looking for inspiration for this month’s theme, check out what all of the hosting bloggers have made so far:
Coffee? Tea? from Ninja Baking
This is a Linky Party, come on over and join in the fun with your best make ahead freezer cookie!!!
Powered by Linky Tools
Click here to enter your link and view this Linky Tools list…
<!– end LinkyTools script →