The Egg Roll in a Bowl is the perfect easy recipe that you will want to make again and again. All the ingredients from an egg roll are gathered in a nutritious and flavourful bowl. One ground protein of your choice with a bag of slaw mix tossed in a delicious sauce; this flexible dinner will be ready in under 30 minutes.
Skip take-out when you can make easy Asian-inspired meals at home such as sweet and sour pork, quick Easy “Fried” Rice, Easy Ramen Stir Fry, or this Asian skillet stir fry. Or try our traditional Homemade Egg Roll, crispy and divine.
Weeknights can be busy and chaotic, and making dinner a simple task is a huge win with this recipe. Also, this is a great gluten-free option or low carb, depending on the toppings you choose. Moreover, it is paleo and keto-friendly if you omit the brown sugar in the sauce.
Helpful Items For This Recipe
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a small portion from qualifying purchases at no extra charge for you.
What Ingredients are in Egg Roll in a Bowl?
The ingredients the recipe calls for can be easily swapped around depending on your liking or what you have in your kitchen.
- Ground meat: Here, I used chicken but ground turkey, beef or ground pork work too. Another option for your protein could be sausage.
- Slaw or coleslaw mix: in the idea of making it a simple and quick recipe, a pre-package mix is great. However, you can also grate your own carrots, thinly slice your cabbage and red cabbage. Can be also added is broccoli slaw.
- Garlic: Feel free to add more if you love it. Use it fresh for more flavour, otherwise garlic powder would do.
- Ginger: Fresh is the best but powder works too. It adds a perfect peppery and sweet taste to the meal.
- For the sauce: sesame oil, soy sauce, olive oil and brown sugar.
- Salt: you always need a little but be careful with the salt from the soy sauce. I like to use low sodium soy sauce so I can manage the saltiness on my own.
TIP: Make it spicy by adding some chili flakes or sriracha to the sauce.
Optional: Once you serve, you can add some toppings; here are a few ideas:
- Thinkly sliced green onions
- Sesame seeds
- Crispy wonton crisps for a little crunch
- Toasted sliced almonds
- Plum sauce
- Spicy Chinese mustard
In terms of utensils, you will only need a large pot or pan and a bowl to stir in your sauce. Grab your chopsticks and a bowl, and you are ready to dive in!
Now, let’s make this delicious weeknight meal.
How to Make Egg Roll in a Bowl
The steps to assemble this meal are pretty simple and easy. The leftovers will also make the perfect school lunch for kids and grown-ups.
If you have a wok, now is a great time to pull it out and use it. Otherwise, a saute or fry pan will work great too!
First, in a hot pan, pour some olive oil and sauté the garlic and the meat of your choice, here ground chicken, until no longer pink. It will take about 5 minutes.
In the meantime mince the ginger.
TIP: To peel the ginger, use a regular teaspoon and scrape off the skin of the ginger with the tip of it. Better yet for quick preparation you can use jarred ginger and garlic. I use these for quick week night cooking. It saves loads of time and also money if you end up throwing away your garlic or ginger.
Next, add the slaw to the pan and cook stirring until the slaw is tender. It will take about 3-4 minutes.
During that time, in a bowl, mix the soya sauce, sesame oil, brown sugar, olive oil, and ginger.
Lastly, pour over the chicken and slaw mix and toss well. It is ready; you can serve and enjoy it!
Top it with fresh green onions, sesame seeds, and wonton crisps!
VARIATION: If you wish, you can switch it up a little more by tossing:
- White rice, cooked
- Rice noodles
- Egg noodles
All of the above will add carbs but make this a more filling meal if you want that.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does an egg roll in a bowl last in the fridge?
This recipe keeps well for 2 to 3 days in the fridge in an air-tight container.
How many calories are in an egg roll in a bowl?
Depending on the ground meat you choose and the topping, it varies. However, for this recipe, you can find the nutritional values at the bottom of the recipe card.
Can you reheat the egg roll in a bowl?
Absolutely, you can either do so in a pan on low heat or in the microwave.
What to Serve with Egg Roll in a Bowl?
Although this is a great meal on its own, you can definitely serve it with this refreshing Asian cucumber salad or our Easy “Fried” Rice recipe that isn’t really fried but oh so good!
Can Egg Roll in a Bowl be Frozen?
I would refrain from this. The slaw would not be as tender and would have lost all its crunch. If you wish to meal prep, you can certainly cook the ground chicken (beef, pork, or turkey) ahead of time and freeze it. It will shorten the prep time, and dinner could be on the table in 15 minutes!
How can I add more vegetables to this recipe?
You can easily add another cup or double the amount of slaw required for this recipe. However, keep in mind, you will need to do the same with the sauce otherwise it will not be enough when it is tossed.
More “better-than-take-out” recipes
Easy dinner recipes like this make mealtime smoother on weekdays. If you are tempted to order take out, remember these recipes are here and check all the boxes to make your life easier:
- Minimal preparation
- One-pan cooking
- Delicious and make the perfect leftovers.
- Yummy Sweet and Sour Pork – The crispy fried pork coated with some sticky sweet and tangy sauce is so delicious and easy to prepare.
- Super Easy “Fried” Rice – This recipe is easy and gives you fluffy, not greasy rice every time.
- Delicious Asian Fish Wrap – While the fish bakes to perfection, you just need to make a quick Sriracha mayonnaise and a light Asian slaw.
- Juicy Crockpot Saucy Asian Ribs – The sauce with this recipe is the best, get in there, get your fingers dirty and sticky. It is finger-licking good!!
Pin it HERE!!
Pin it HERE!!
- 1 pound of ground chicken
- 2 tbsp. olive oil (divided)
- 2 cups of slaw mix (packed)
- 1 tsp of ginger, minced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp of sesame oil
- 1 tsp of brown sugar
- 6 tbsp of soya sauce
- 2 green onions, optional
- Toppings: sesame seeds, wonton strips, toasted sliced almonds, edamame
- In a hot pan, pour in 1 tbsp olive oil and sauté the garlic and the ground chicken until no longer pink. It will take about 5 minutes.
- Now, add the slaw to the pan and cook stirring until the slaw is tender. It will take about 3-4 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare the sauce: in a bowl, mix the soya sauce, sesame oil, brown sugar, 1 tbsp olive oil, and ginger.
- Pour over the chicken and slaw mix in the pan and toss well.
- Serve while it's hot and top with thinly sliced green onions. Add additional toppings if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Kenmore Hammond Flat Bottom Carbon Steel Wok, 14-Inch, Black
10-Pairs Wooden Chopsticks, Dishwasher Safe Chopstick,ReusableNatural Healthy, Chinese Classic Style for Kitchen, Dining Room, Gourmet, Noodles (9.8 Inch)
Porcelain Dessert Bowls Cereal bowl - Ceramic Bowl Set of 6 - Colorful Small Bowls for Ice Cream | Soup | Cereal | Rice | Snack | Side Dish | Condiment Microwave and Dishwasher Safe -4.75 Inch
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 565Total Fat: 41gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 31gCholesterol: 131mgSodium: 479mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 5gSugar: 14gProtein: 31g
Recipe calculation was provided by Nutritionix and is an estimation only. If you need nutritional calculations for medical reasons, please use a source that you trust.