The holidays are coming and with that, there are all sorts of luxurious foods to indulge in. Today’s #SundaySupper brings you the lighter side of things with Lighten Up The Holidays #SundaySupper. I went for an old standby, green beans but instead of the big sloppy gooey soupy green bean casserole (alright it is good too) I made Leaner Green Beans. These are just as delicious in my mind and have a crunchy and flavorful topping from almonds and shallots.
I love fresh green beans and this recipe can be made in no time, plus it brings some freshness and color to your holiday table. There is lots of topping so you can add more green beans as you like or adjust them for a large crowd. Want another great dish with nuts and beans then try our Walnut Pesto Green Beans.
I did a similar green bean last year and they were a great hit. Check out Green Beans with Pecans and Cranberries for a variation to the dish. I find I don’t eat enough of green beans for some reason and I love them. They come to the forefront for the holidays though.
A small delicious topping is all you need to make these green beans a star on your table. Crunchy slivered almonds and shallots are both toasted up sweet to be the perfect topping for the tender crisp green beans.
- 4-6 cups green beans, cleaned
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 small shallots, sliced thinly
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- 1/2 lemon
- Salt and pepper
- Cook green beans until tender crisp in salted boiling water then plunge them into an ice water bath. This will maintain their crispness and color. These can be made ahead and refrigerated at this point.
- When ready to serve. Saute shallots in butter and then add almonds. Brown both slightly. Add green beans and toss to heat through. Season with salt and pepper. Squeeze the juice of a 1/2 lemon over and serve immediately.
Here are loads more Lightened Up choices for the holidays for you to try!
- Lightened Up Eggnog by The Redhead Baker
- Low Calorie Pumpkin Pie Malted Milkshake by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
Appetizer or starter
- Lighten-up Sausage Rolls by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Spaghetti Squash, Pears and Kale with Shrimp by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Lightened Up Cornbread Stuffing by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Dip by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Spicy Eggplant Dip by Cooking Chat
- Carciofi alla Trapanese by Manu’s Menu
- Fresh Salmon Carpaccio by Food Lust People Love
- Butternut Squash Orzo Pasta by Life Tastes Good
- Hearts of Palm, Artichoke, Avocado and Butter Lettuce by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Quick and Easy Sweet Potato by The Educators’ Spin On It
- Lentil & Mushroom Stuffing by Foxes Love Lemons
- Tangy, Spiced Red Cabbage by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Cranberry Orange Glazed Green Beans by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Roasted Garlic Cauliflower Mash by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Green Beans with Rosemary Garlic Butter by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Mediterranean Lentil Stuffed Delicata Squash by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Leaner Green Beans by Noshing With The Nolands
- Horiatki Salata by Peaceful Cooking
- Healthier Potluck Broccoli-Cauliflower Salad by The Weekend Gourmet
- Farro Stuffing with Cranberries and Walnuts by The Dinner-Mom
- Roasted Parsnip and Apple SoupCurious by Curious Cuisiniere
- Sweet Apple Bites by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Light and Luscious Chocolate Cheesecake by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Pumpkin Pie Pudding by The Life and Loves of Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Healthy Brownie Recipe | Applesauce Brownies by The Perfect Brownie
- Peanut Butter Coconut Mini Bars by Basic N Delicious
- The Blondie Recipe by Wallflour Girl
- Cinnamon Roll Granola Bars by Pies and Plots
- Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Pumpkin Blondie by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat.
To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.