This crunchy, sweet Pineapple Coleslaw with raisins and walnuts is a perfectly balanced, delicious summer side dish for picnics, BBQs, potlucks, or just about any night of the week. The marriage of shredded cabbage and pineapple tidbits brings this coleslaw recipe to new heights.
I love the crunch of coleslaw but then add in another great bite from the walnuts is so much better; adding a nut to a salad is one of my favorite parts. The sweetness from the pineapple and raisins is also welcomed inclusion in this salad. All of the flavors go so perfectly together, giving you a change from the same old, same old.
Helpful Items For This Recipe
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a small portion from qualifying purchases at no extra charge for you.
What Ingredients Go Into Pineapple Coleslaw
We have been eating plain old coleslaw for years. You know, grab a bag and make up a mayonnaise-type sauce or buy a bottle of coleslaw dressing, toss it all together, and away you go. It is good, but I was tired of it.
I needed to jazz up that recipe somehow. So I thought of adding in some additions and created this Pineapple Walnut Raisin Coleslaw. It kind of has that feeling of Hawaii, so light and refreshing and tropical.
- Shredded cabbage coleslaw mix with carrot and purple cabbage
- Pineapple tidbits, drained of the pineapple juice or Fresh Pineapple
- Walnuts, chopped
- Cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper
How to Make Pineapple Coleslaw
- Soak the raisins in hot water for 10 min. and drain well, set aside. This helps to rehydrate them and plump them up.
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients.
- In a large bowl, add the coleslaw, pineapple, raisins, and walnuts. Toss gently.
- Add the dressing and toss to coat well. Chill and serve.
- If making well in advance, leave the walnuts out to toss in just before serving.
- Best if served the day of making.
I love summer foods. They are so cool, refreshing, and satisfying like this salad.
Grab a big scoop and load up your plate. This would be great with pulled pork; think of piling it high on a bun!
Also delicious with a sticky BBQ chicken but would fair well with steak and fish also.
I think once you have tried this coleslaw, you will never want to go back to just plain old coleslaw.
This one just has so much more going for it, and the extras can’t be easier to add also. The one thing I do like to do is plump up the raisins in some hot water, but that takes little effort, and they sit and plump while you get the rest of the ingredients together.
Pineapple Coleslaw Additions
A little green onion added to this slaw would be good too. I don’t think I would want the sharpness of a red or yellow onion. It would overplay on the sweetness, which is so nice.
Some people like to add in coconut, apples, or marshmallows and by all means, make the salad your own!
The best salad is the one that you make and enjoy!!
Can I Make This Coleslaw Ahead of Time?
If you are needing to make this salad ahead of time or to take a salad to someone’s house for the summer months, this is great and portable.
You can leave the nuts out until you arrive and add them at the last minute so they won’t soften at all. The salad is best if made the day of and served, but you could make it in the morning and serve it for dinner for sure. It does need time to meld.
I love all the fresh summer colors in here too.
Pin it HERE!!
Pin it HERE!!
- 1 lb. of shredded cabbage coleslaw mix with carrot
- 14 oz. can of pineapple tidbits, drained
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp. cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- Salt to taste
- Freshly ground pepper
- Soak the raisins in hot water for 10 min. and drain well, set aside.
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients. In a large bowl, add the coleslaw, pineapple, raisins, and walnuts. Toss gently.
- Add the dressing and toss well to incorporate. Chill and serve.
- If making well in advance, leave the walnuts out to toss in just before serving. Best if served the day of making.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Kalinco Wooden Acacia Salad Servers with Salad Spoon and Fork Set Cooking Utensils for Kitchen (Natural Handmade Cookware) (salad servers)
3.2 Quarts Porcelain Serving Bowl Set Salad Bowl Set 2 Pack, Large Ceramic Bowl Set White
365 by Whole Foods Market, Organic Produce - Packaged Vegetables, Coleslaw Mix, 12 oz
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 241Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 7mgSodium: 200mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 3gSugar: 16gProtein: 3g
Recipe calculation was provided by Nutritionix and is an estimation only. If you need nutritional calculations for medical reasons, please use a source that you trust.