This Treacle Tart is a wonderfully tasty tart with an Irish/English background. It is supposed to be Harry Potter’s favorite food, so of course Amber wanted to make it.
She has nearly polished off the tart herself. It is a very dense tart with a breadcrumb filling and a slight lemon flavor. Treacle is any syrup derived from the making of sugar. It is golden syrup to dark treacle (which is not as dark as molasses).
- 1 cup syrup, golden
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 3/4-2 cups bread crumbs
- The rind of one lemon
- Juice of one lemon
- 2 Tbsp. fancy molasses
- 1 1/3 cup flour
- 3 Tbsp. sugar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. cold water or more
- For the crust, in a food processor, pulse flour, sugar, and salt.
- Add in butter and pulse until coarse crumbs.
- Pulse in egg yolk until the dough comes together.
- Shape into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate 30 min.
- Don’t let the dough get too cold as it will be harder to work with.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pastry dough to a 13-inch circle and then place in a 10-inch round tart pan with a removable bottom.
- Press dough into the pan and making sure the sides have lots.
- Take a rolling pin and roll over the top of the tart slicing the excess dough off.
- With a fork prick bottom of tart all over and let rest in the refrigerator for 20 min.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Take the tart out of the refrigerator and line bottom with foil.
- Fill with pie weights or dried beans and bake the tart shell for 20 min. then remove weights and bake for a further 5 min.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 325 degrees F
- In a bowl stir together syrup, molasses, and eggs.
- Add salt and breadcrumbs then lemon rind and lemon juice.
- Mix well and then pour into baked crust.
- Bake at 325 degrees F for 40-45 min. until puffed and browned.
- Let cool in pan on a rack.
- Serve with whipped cream.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 533Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 100mgSodium: 466mgCarbohydrates: 88gFiber: 3gSugar: 29gProtein: 11g
Recipe calculation was provided by Nutritionix and is estimation only. If you need nutritional calculations for medical reasons, please use a source that you trust.