Happy New Year everyone!! This is the first #SundaySupper for 2014 and that is exciting!! This week we are slowing things down to be “Slowly Bringing in the New Year“. That is our theme for today, slow cooking and I bring you a delicious Beef, Wine and Mushroom Soup!!
I love pulling out my slow cooker. You can get so creative with it. I wanted to do a Boeuf Bourguignon for today but to make it simpler than a traditional recipe and leaning more towards a soup than a stew. I believe I succeeded nicely with this recipe. It still has all the layers of flavors that you want but a lot less work. I don’t like dealing with those pesky pearl onions so those were omitted right away. Don’t get me wrong, I have made Beouf Bourguignon countless times and will make it many, many more but I wanted something easier for the slow cooker.
It is so rich and full of flavor, they will think you slaved all day!!!
- 1-14 gm. pkg. dried mixed gourmet mushrooms
- 1-14 gm. pkg. dried chanterelle mushrooms
- ¼ lb. bacon cut into lardons
- 1½ lb. stewing beef cut into bite sized pieces
- 3 Tbsp. canola oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups red wine
- 2 cups beef stock
- 3 sprigs parsley
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 3 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 Tbsp. brandy
- ⅓ cup flour
- 2 Tbsp. parsley, minced
- Soak dried mushrooms in 1¼ cups of hot water for each for 30min. In a large deep fry pan saute bacon until just crisp, transfer to paper towels and drain fat.
- Add 1 Tbsp. oil and brown the beef in two batches, adding more oil if necessary. Transfer to a large slow cooker bowl. Cook onion, carrots and garlic in the same pan removing oil if necessary leaving about 1 Tbsp., until onions are translucent. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the onion mixture and the bacon to the slow cooker. Drain the mushrooms and reserve the liquid. Pour 2 cups of the drained mushroom liquid into the slow cooker. You may want to strain the mushrooms if they appear gritty. Chop the mushrooms and add them to the slow cooker. Add the wine and beef stock. Tie the parsley sprigs and thyme together and add. Add the bay leaves. Stir carefully but well.
- Cook on low for 7-8 hours or until beef is very tender. I like to stir the soup once during the cooking if you are around. Melt butter in a large fry pan, you can use the same one from before. Add the sliced mushrooms and cook until browned about 5 min. on medium. Add to the slow cooker along with the brandy. Whisk the flour with ½ cup of water and turn slow cooker to high. Add the flour mixture, stir and simmer for 25 min. Adjust seasoning. Discard the parsley and thyme and bay leaves.
- Serve in individual bowl, garnished with the minced parsley.
Are you looking for slow cooker recipes? Here are ones by Sunday Supper contributors for the “Slowly Bringing in the New Year” event:
Whet Your Appetite
Simmering Soups, Stews, and Side Dishes
- Chicken and Wild Rice Soup from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Low-Carb Chunky Beefy Vegetable Soup from Yours And Mine Are Ours
- Beef, Wine and Mushroom Soup from Noshing With The Nolands
- Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan Soup from Foxes Love Lemons
- Beef Stew from The Foodie Army Wife
- Pot Roast and Portabello Stew from Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Slow Cooker Black Bean and Polenta Stew from Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Turkey Stew from Magnolia Days
- San Antonio Chunky Chicken Stew from The Weekend Gourmet
- Pumpkin, Chickpea & Lentil Stew from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Slow Cooker Chickpeas from Shockingly Delicious
- Slow Cooker Apricot Jalapeno Pork Chops from Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Vegan Slow Cooker Hoppin’ John from Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Slow Cooker Coffee Glazed Brisket from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chipotle Honey BBQ Ribs from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Crockpot Country Style Pork Ribs from Cooking On The Ranch
- Slow Cooker Jerk Pork from Curious Cuisiniere
- Slow Cooker Beef Daube Provencal from Momma’s Meals
- Crock Pot Chicken Cacciatore from The Dinner-Mom
- Chicken and Broccoli from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Tacos de Lengua from The Texan New Yorker
- Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken & Black Beans for Tacos from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Slow Cooker Beef Brisket French Dip Sandwiches from Neighborfood
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.